Cracked block

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian_Joker

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So after many of months of struggling in trying to tune my revo I finally found out I have a cracked block. Right where the motor mounts are, it is along the whole bottom of the motor mount. Hair line crack you can't even see it with the naked eye. The only way I found it was by loading up the engine with a bunch of fuel and turned it over and fuel boiled out of there. So about fixing this? Can I get a new block and use everything else from my now cracked motor? or would it be in my best interest to mothball it and buy a new motor or something better then a 3.3? Keep in mind every one wants the cheapest fixes lol. Thanks for your help.

It's most likely ran very hot with a cracked block. Big air leak. I'd use the Traxxas exchange program and get a new 3.3.

Yeah it didn't run too well at all, that is for sure, and I was unaware they had an exchange program thanks for pointing that out. I was going to give customer service a call but there closed today.

Some hobby shops will even swap you on the spot. You keep your clutch, flywheel(I think), header and starter. Pay em the 90 bucks or so and your old engine, go home with a new one. Seal the new engine and break it in when it's 60 degrees or warmer outside.

I would just buy a new block off of Ebay. You can't beat $15 to put you back in the game. If the engine still has compression it is probably good to rebuild. Try that first before you buy a new engine. Or send me the engine if you are going to trash it and I'll rebuild the thing. But seriously get a new block and rebuild. If that don't work...ok fine then replace the engine.

Last edited:
That is the post I was looking for. I was unaware if I could simply replace the block. It does still have great compresion and to be honest it only has a gallon and a half of fuel through it. I went wrong either leaving it in the garage over winter or just from bashing it like it wasn't mine. (*hmm perhaps the truck body does do some service*). Anyway, is it difficult to pull everything out and put it in the new block?

No it is really easy. I can rebuild an engine in 15 minutes if everything goes right. Pretty simple process and seal it back up on the build back up and you should be golden. A hit on the head can crack a block. I have done it before. Not the first 3.3 I have seen crack.

That's good news. And yeah that makes sence. Seeing as how many times the head has hit concrete and dirt and grass and wood... Lol. Thanks for your help on that one. Suppose there isn't intructions on how to take it apart and put it back togeather anywhere out there. While we are on the topic. (as I ask with out looking for myself). Thanks for your help. I was expecting a hundred dollar bill at least.

I've cracked 4 or 5 in my jato... Very frustrating. Took me a while to figure out that it wasn't just bad impacts to the head, but rather the chassis slapping the ground because I was jumping it off stuff like my 1/8 scale buggy... lol

My cracked block thread: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75027&highlight=jato

I doubt your issue is from the chassis bottoming out on the revo, since the engine sits perpendicular to the chassis. More than likely the head making contact with an inanimate object. :)

Yeah there really isn't a whole lot to rebuildng these egines the toughest part is getting the crank bearings out. I usually put the block in the oven at 325 for about 10 minutes and lightly tap them out using a wooden dowel rod. I'm really not sold on the whole Traxxas exchange program, especially when you can get a brand new 3.3 on ebay for about the same money. I think the new block should come with the crank bearings already installed but I'm not 100% sure on that.

It depends on what shape the rest of the engine is in. If it were me I'd ebay a new one for about 110 and keep the spare parts.

No it's all good now. True about how easy it is to take them apart. after I figured out how to get the piston off it was easy. The link above from ebay dollar hobbys that guy is selling the block with the bearings in it already. Came in the mail yesterday, switched em over last night. Thanks everyone for your help.

Back