steel spur gear a plus or no go?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkins1424

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i put a steel spur on my revo. after 4 to 6 tanks i found my bell gear teeth bent over and gone.

No. The spur comes plastic from the factory for a reason. It is the cheapest thing that can break with a bad mesh. With a bad mesh with steel, you can screw up the clutch bell, tranny, and basicly every other part of the driveline. Get back to plastic (after replacing clutch bell) and make sure you have a good mesh, and you shouldnt have any more problems.

yeah the metal spur gears sound good but I used one for a couple tanks and snapped my forward gear in my maxx tranny.. replaced gear and spur back to plastic and it took a while but the only thing that has broke since then (and it has been a acouple months..) was a plastic spur gear from a couple small rocks getting in the teeth....

If you use a steel spur gear you must get a hardened clutchbell. Otherwise you will keep eating them up.

I wouldn't recommend it. Plastic spur gear's work just fine and last forever so there is no reason to use a steel spur gear and all it will do is eat CB's up.

Typically a no go unless it's a 1/8th buggy. Guessing chassis twist would eat up plastic on a buggy, so they use a narrow steel gear to avoid bad mesh when under stress.

Were you having issues running plastic spurs?

no i was not having any trouble running the plastic. i just picked up a steel one out of just fate. ill stick with the plastic after my bell gear was eaten up. thanks

I ran a steel spur gear in my t maxx 2.5 for over 3 years and had no issues what so ever... I can see it being an issue if your not good at setting gear mesh correctly. If you find it tough to do gear mesh or have problems with the engine miss aligning then steel spur isnt a great choice.. but in my case i ran one for years and never had an issue. still have it to this day and the teeth look just as good as the day i bought it..

Last edited:
I use em on all my trucks. never had an issue. gear mesh is critical though.

:When I first bought my Aftershock I picked up a couple of both spur gears and a RPM sealed gear cover still have the stock gears on it. It also looks nice in the blue.:D

I'm running robinson racing spur gear and robinson racing extra hard clutch bell. very strong! plus i got robinson gears in both diff's and the complete rrp kit in the tranny!

Last edited:
Even the brushless trucks have plastic gears, that should tell you something. I can't see how the whole driveline would get messed up using a steel gear, but it will be harder on the engine and transmission.

Back