Breaking in 3.3 motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm on the 3rd tank of breaking in my 3.3 and its over heating? I've done sealed the motor. :\ I've also have tried turned the high speed needle outa little and its still doing the same thing.

might just need to richen the HSN some more. usually the richer the better for new engines they need to run cool and have oil in there.

It's prob your lns is too lean back it out a 1/4 turn and see if that helps. A brand new engine the first few tanks will run a little hot though and thats good you need to keep it above 200 degrees to get the heat cycle effect if you don't keep it above 200 your waisting your time breaking it in. Every engine I have ever broke in the first two tanks on factory settings ran in the upper 220-235 and as the motor starting breaking in and I was heat cycling it it started cooling off to like 180 without me touching the needle's and I had to wrap the engine to keep it about 210-215.

WOW 303! Yea thats a little warm I can't believe it didn't cut off before it got that hot from being too lean. If you have put all your settings back to factory and your still getting those temps you may have a bad motor sounds like your getting blow back which is where the piston is not tight against the sleeve and is letting air go past it to the bottom of the stroke. That will cause you to run hot for sure. Just cause the engine is brand new doesn't always mean it doesn't have a issue or is a bad motor. I would take the engine back to where you got it and get traxxas to give you a new one. Traxxas has a great support team and if it's a engine issue they will give you a new one with no prob being only three tanks in. I bought some water proof hi torque servo's from my lhs a few months ago and they quit on me recently I took them into my lhs they called traxxas and traxxas told them to give me two new one's. Traxxas want's to keep a good name and they don't want to loose business because there are so many competitors so they will work with you no prob and they pride there self on that.

---------- Post added at 4:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:26 PM ----------

For instants I just bought a brand new os .21 for my revo and it blew up on me 4 tanks in. I took it to my lhs and the whole crank and conrod was destoyed. My lhs called os and they told them to give me a new engine. So new engines do go bad sometimes it's really just the luck of the draw and you may have got a Friday afternoon engine like I did. ;)

well its not a brand new engine its a new piston and sleeve. the first two tanks went fine. it wasn't until i set the body on it that it started overheating.

Last edited:
well its not a brand new engine its a new piston and sleeve. the first two tanks went fine. it wasn't until i set the body on it that it started overheating.

do you have air hole in your windshield ?? if not , that may be your problem ...you need good airflow

Oh I see I thought it was a brand new engine. Yea you need to vent your body real good if you don't have a good hole in the windshield and I like to put one in my driver window you will run extremly hot. You didn't say that earlier about it only did it when the body was on.

I'm about 99% sure thats your issue if your body isn't vented.I cut the whole windshield out of mine plus I drill a 1 3/8 hole in the drivers window with a hole saw.

yea thats probley what my problem is my first body had a hole in the windshield but the body i have on it now dont

yup thats what my problem was i need a whole in the windshield on my body Thanks for the help