slipper clutch problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVO-5309

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Gearbox/slipper clutch problem *UPDATE*

hey guys, after just fixing my idle issue iv had a couple runs and found another.... clutch barely engages and then slips and after getting it home, ripping it apart, the clutch pads are not there :S no idea why there are no pads but I'm in the process of ordering a clutch kit or two from the states. but i spin the clutch part that attaches to the motor and it engages pressure onto the wheels but after 4 or so rotations it slips and goes loose. is that normal or is there something in the gear box that has worn out, like maybe a gear that is missing a tooth or something? the pressure plate and hub is pretty much locked together and its not slipping, so I'm thinking its something in the box?

any help is much appreciated guys :D

btw iv learnt a poop load about these things in the last week alone :D enjoying pulling it apart and changing suspension configs etc.

Last edited:
If you spin it backward you will never get anything because of the one way bearing in the tranny. Now you already said your slipper was toast so that could be the issue. So where are you at. I have to get 90% of my stuff mailed to me.

yeah you wil want to have that slipper setup alittle tighter, my maxx threw a pad out on me the first week because I overlooked that spot for some reason, (well I know why it had been years since I had played with anything like it I was to anxiouse to play with the thing!!!) Bad mistake I thought I screwd something up in the first week and I didnt have h=this site back then... now I do and it has helped so much!!!

yeh i live in australia/brisbane and iv just ordered a few things including the whole slipper kit/clutch. but when i spin that axle (where the clutch etc is once iv taken all that off) should it spin the wheels even when i have pressure on the wheels (on the ground) cuz it puts pressure on the wheels but then all of a sudden gives and then i have to keep spinning it to get pressure back up.

another interesting thing i noticed too is on the pressure plate and hub there is a fair bit of wear from where I'm guessing iv toghtened it too much and its started to dig at the alloy. not to the point of touching the bearings tho... could that do any damage to the internals of the gearbox if id done it up that tight?

interesting thing too. locally for the clutch kit and pressure plate and hub it would cost me around $40, where as iv just ordered from the states usps express international post, 2 clutch kits, pressure plate and hub, some tyre glue and a HPI glow plug wrench for $70 lol. postage alone was $40 but yeh stuff buying locally for this kinda stuff. just gotta be smart and break/buy in bulk :p

hey guys, still havent changed the clutch over, but I'm thinking its not as simple as just the clutch. could anything else in the box create this problem?

seems like an internal clutch or something in the box. the pressure plate and hub seem to be pretty much locked on. so I'm thinking that something in the box has worm out. any ideas?

check the diff bearings where the drive shafts meet the diff I have blown a bearing in there before and it was doing about the same thing as what yours is doing...

well new clutch kit is in. I'm thinking that one of the gears in the box is worn as its still not engaging properly

primary clutch in the gearbox is fiddlesticked from what i can tell. pulled it all apart and that seems to be the part that is giving out. can anyone back this?

How to confirm slipper vs. Differential? I was thrashing yesterday and all the sudden I had a free revving motor. I lifted the truck in the air and was able to have the motOr turn the tires very little. I just had the metal gears put in the trans and new clutch etc not but 8-9 tanks of fuel ago. I can sEe the slipper clutch and pads plain as day and they look new. If I spin the front tires the rears don't spin. What is the best way to differentiate between a bloWn diff and bad slipper?

not what I'm asking, diff's are fine. its the clutch that is built into the trans... the clutch between the slipper and diff's

so i fixed the problem....

but now the gears seem backwards... forward seems to be reverse gear as it doesn't get into 2nd and reverse is forward gear as i think its getting into second... any ideas on which gears i got on back to front? and no i havent taken the diffs out.

also could this be the 2nd gear adjustment a bit too far one way? it could be too far out to shift into 2nd?

Last edited:
well that doesn't fix my problem. seems that reverse is as normal (70% power) and doesn't have an extra gear and 1st gear is extremely awesome, got it tuned just right so it does wheelies with no problem... but iv played with the shift point etc and no change what so ever. 2nd gear just doesn't kick in. all the gears looked fine after a 2nd inspection (perfect actually).....

thinking it might be the programming side of it. since its an electronic 2nd

Actually the only electronic shift on the Revo is the shift between forward and reverse. The 1st and 2nd shift point is purely mechanical.

ahh k, yeh i just had a quick play with the shifting screw. and tried starting 1-2 turns from the top and it started in 2nd so i went from there. now its shifting into 2nd just as it hits high revs.

Back