problem with 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmswimfan21

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
so i got a almost new 3.3 from my buddy. It has great compression good pinch and i can't get it to start. tryed cleaning the carb and it is getting fuel. good hot plug i thought i put it together wrong so i took it apart and mad sure it was right and the same thing keeps happening. it cranks over then locks up. pull the plug and crank it over put it back in floods then locks up and doesn't fire. any ideas???

how old is it ? i ask because that sounds just like a new motor sounds like it is hydro locking .try backing off the glow plug just 1/8- 1/4 turn .then try it . or heat the head with a blow dryer helps it expand so the piston moves easyer

heating the head will not help much ....the sleeve and piston are not in the head ...you have to heat it up below the head ....i had to do that for many tanks with my second 3.3 ...that engine was really tight

I would first start off with factory needle settings. if your in a higher altitude where you live that will play a large factor with why its flooding.

For instance, i live at around 4500 feet i have to go about 3 3/4 turns out compared to the usual 4 turns out of factory settings. If your at a higher altitude your engine will just flood almost every time you try to start.

If you are at sea level you want to just keep those factory needle settings. If it still does this issue continues you should try to lean it out more till its not flooding as much.

If it still continues to do so after leaning it out it would still be aiming it towards the glow plug or the ground for the plug if your using the ez start still. I know you say the plug is glowing hot but if its working while screwed in it should ignite that fuel in no time.

Good luck !

update

got it running once at a 2 turns out and it ran doggy. but it was just broke in and put away for a long time thought it may be running backwards checked with anouther 3.3 and it spins the same. can't get it to idle and has low exaust pressure. thinking it has to be leaking some where.