Tuning Question with 33% Fuel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobaltleo

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so i've been trying to tune my revo latley but getting wierd results. i'm following a guide in july issue of rc car action mag. which actually helped me a lot better than the tuning guide that came with my revo (2.5r) i think I'm about at the right point on my lsn as I'm now getting good takeoff but if i go full throttle it just boggs down and in some cases stops all together. I'm pretty sure I'm running on the rich side cause I'm getting a lot of blue smoke but my temps are high when i lean the hsn 311 degrees. but still getting good smoke. i read somewhere that's its impossible to tune with 30% or higher fuel, is this true? I'm using the Byron originals premium 33% fuel (the red color one). temps say that i should be richer so I'm not sure if the problem is the fuel or if I'm missingg something else. btw it idels just fine.

so i've been trying to tune my revo latley but getting wierd results. i'm following a guide in july issue of rc car action mag. which actually helped me a lot better than the tuning guide that came with my revo (2.5r) i think I'm about at the right point on my lsn as I'm now getting good takeoff but if i go full throttle it just boggs down and in some cases stops all together. I'm pretty sure I'm running on the rich side cause I'm getting a lot of blue smoke but my temps are high when i lean the hsn 311 degrees. but still getting good smoke. i read somewhere that's its impossible to tune with 30% or higher fuel, is this true? I'm using the Byron originals premium 33% fuel (the red color one). temps say that i should be richer so I'm not sure if the problem is the fuel or if I'm missingg something else. btw it idels just fine.

I've never had any issues with 33%. If I'm not mistaking the ideal temps should be around 270 so I'd say you are definitely running hot. I ran into a similar problem with a 2.5r. The only way I could get high speed runs was when I leaned it way out. It cam down to being a worn out piston and sleeve. It was also premature but that was the first nitro engine I ever ran.. live and learn I guess. I would suggest maybe checking the pinch on your piston and sleeve and make sure it's not worn out.

I had a horrible time tuning my savage on 30%. Temps were at 350 and was vapor locking the engine after a few minutes of run time. Switched to 20% and never had heat issues.

Yeah I think I'm gonna pick up a pint of 20% an see how that works out.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

It’s not impossible to tune with 30% or higher. I and many others I know have run 50% in pulling trucks with big block engines and they purrrr like a big kitten. You can tune just about any nitro engine with 33% however; the tuning window gets smaller when nitro % increases and some engines will require an additional head shim with higher nitro %.

Bogging at full throttle is almost always a lean condition whether it is from an incorrectly adjusted carb or a leak in the engine, fuel or exhaust system.

Awesome, more please, I really dont want to get rid of all that fuel, so sjould I try enriching the top, bottom, or both.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

It’s not impossible to tune with 30% or higher. I and many others I know have run 50% in pulling trucks with big block engines and they purrrr like a big kitten. You can tune just about any nitro engine with 33% however; the tuning window gets smaller when nitro % increases and some engines will require an additional head shim with higher nitro %.

Bogging at full throttle is almost always a lean condition whether it is from an incorrectly adjusted carb or a leak in the engine, fuel or exhaust system.

I only run 30% and get along fine.

Back