Win a Proline body of your choice: RCNT Fantasy Football League!!

Go Back   RCNitroTalk > R/C Forums > 1/8th Scale Buggy

Whats the best 1/8 buggy for racing

Discussion in 1/8th Scale Buggy forum, started by Sam_the_revo_man.

Unread 5-27-2009, 4:17 AM   #1
Sam_the_revo_man
RCNT Rookie

Experience: I am an experienced RC driver
Trader Feedback: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Whats the best 1/8 buggy for racing

Hey guys got a mega race buzz from my revo but really want a buggy. Looking for the best brands. Not really sure which are the best but I really like the Kyosho buggies but not sure which model. Don't mind it it comes as a kit or with no electronics or engine. Attached images would help alot.
Thanks Sam

Unread 5-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
prince
RC Newbie

I think kyosho,mugen,losi

Unread 5-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
slowngreen
Adopt, DONT Shop.

Experience: I am a RC guru
Trader Feedback: (40)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
are you wanting electric or nitro?

Unread 5-29-2009, 8:22 PM   #4
militarymaxx
Hardcore RCNT User

Man, has this question been asked a few times! We can beat this one around for days. I remember when folks said the Kanai buggies were the shizzle. I've been away for a while so it will be interesting to see what one needs to keep up with the Jones' these days. My answer to this question has always been the same. Buy something that has great parts support both factory and aftermarket. Keep in mind what kind of support you LHS can also provide. Chances are that whatever you get won't stay stock for long. Enjoy!

Unread 5-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
ThunderTiger
Hardcore RCNT User

Trader Feedback: (1)
militarymaxx, I here what your saying, but the t/tiger EB4 s2 pro has been held by my LHS for FOUR YEARS !! granted, parts are by order only, but hey, what's new.

Unread 5-30-2009, 4:12 PM   #6
militarymaxx
Hardcore RCNT User

Started the tear down / rebuild of my Storm today. I think I might be in the market for a newer buggy as well. I sometimes struggle with which one is better because afterall, aren't they all pretty much the same? In design at least, maybe not in workmanship or quality but aren't all buggies the same on the surface? I guess another thing I look at is what kind of buggy am I getting out of the box. We all know that with the aftermarket support we can make them better than factory. I suppose the big difference might be how close to perfect it is out of the box and how much or how little will it cost me to get it there. Sam_the_revo_man.....instead of asking what's the best, maybe we should hear what's the worst.

Unread 5-30-2009, 4:24 PM   #7
ThunderTiger
Hardcore RCNT User

Trader Feedback: (1)
DURATRAX atre DEFINATLEY to be AVOIDED !!! ask anyone on here about them !!!

Unread 5-30-2009, 5:11 PM   #8
militarymaxx
Hardcore RCNT User

What's your opinion on the CEN products and the REDCAT stuff?

Last edited by militarymaxx; 5-30-2009 at 5:18 PM.

Unread 5-31-2009, 8:58 PM   #9
Scrogg
Hardcore RCNT User

Trader Feedback: (13)
Avoid CEN's RTR products, they are cheap. Redcat I have heard good and bad, but remember you'll be stuck with mail order parts only. I have never seen a hobby shop with their products.
The XTM racing XT2 buggy is getting some excellent reviews and is priced low.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145625.asp
Myself, I would recommend an Ofna. They make very durable buggies with parts that are easy to find. They have a lot of buggies for 300-400 bucks.

Last edited by Scrogg; 5-31-2009 at 9:00 PM. Reason: Added link

Unread 5-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
destrucktomaxx
RCNT Talkaholic

XRay XB808...'nuff said.

Unread 6-01-2009, 2:59 AM   #11
Scrogg
Hardcore RCNT User

The Mugen MBX6 and the newest Kyosho, the X-Ray and the Losi 8 2.0 are the top dogs. The MBX6's are really impressive, seeing a lot of them in the top 3 positions around here.

Unread 6-01-2009, 6:35 AM   #12
Sam_the_revo_man
RCNT Rookie

I think I'm going to get the losi 8ight truggy. Looks awesome. Big engine great racing ability and really strong. Thanks for the help

Unread 6-01-2009, 5:18 PM   #13
militarymaxx
Hardcore RCNT User

I just went to the team xray site and checked out the new XB808 and I must say that I don't see where we have moved to the next level of 1/8 scale. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine but I see many similarities with my dated Storm. What I see is pieces/parts that in the past were aftermarket upgrades are now standard and that's great. We're getting a better product out of the box but is there something out there that is cutting edge for the 1/8 scale buggies? Remember how radical the REVO's suspension was when it came out? Something extreme. Heck, I'd still get one!

Unread 6-01-2009, 5:42 PM   #14
destrucktomaxx
RCNT Talkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymaxx View Post
I just went to the team xray site and checked out the new XB808 and I must say that I don't see where we have moved to the next level of 1/8 scale. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine but I see many similarities with my dated Storm. What I see is pieces/parts that in the past were aftermarket upgrades are now standard and that's great. We're getting a better product out of the box but is there something out there that is cutting edge for the 1/8 scale buggies? Remember how radical the REVO's suspension was when it came out? Something extreme. Heck, I'd still get one!
Team Xray's Active Differential is pretty cutting edge if you ask me. So is Team Losi's Tuned Flex Chassis. Pretty fancy shtuff.

Unread 6-01-2009, 9:09 PM   #15
Scrogg
Hardcore RCNT User

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymaxx View Post
Put your storm on a track with any of the above mentioned new models....that's where you'll see the difference. Most of these buggies are only 6.5 lbs. roughly. Weight distrubution is TOTALLY different on the new models. Where an older tech buggy will have to let off the throttle, these beg for more!