RRP Forward-only conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdavidhicks

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought two things for a 2.5 T-Maxx FOC.

RRP's steel forward-only gear kit here:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDRH8&P=7

and their aluminum forward primary here:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXAMP4&P=V

This should be an excellent upgrade but their documentation left MUCH to be desired. It was two paragraphs on a piece of paper about 2" x 2" with no illustrations. It did explicitly refer to Traxxas part numbers so it was necessary to have the original transmission parts breakdown sheet in front of me while I did it.

In an effort to help anyone in the RCNT community who might be thinking about this upgrade, I've composed a visual.

Here's the stock case, freshly split. I held the spur gear side down while lifting the brake side off.

trans1.jpg

Here's the gears in the two kits. That little pin is important. Everything will fit if you forget it but your wheels won't turn.

trans2.jpg

Here's the assembled conversion.

trans3.jpg

There's a small thrust washer between the output reverse gear and the brake-side case half. It's supposed to come out but it gets lost easily during disassembly and you don't want it rattling around in your tranny.

This mod leaves two holes in your brake-side case half. One where the shift fork shaft was and one for the screw that mounted the idler gear. I haven't figured out how I'm gonna patch those yet.

There's a thrust washer behind the idler gear that you want to make sure you get out as well.

Don't forget some grease. I haven't. Yet.

Great Info!

wdavidhicks,

Excellent information for us 2.5 owners who are planning on undertaking the RRP FOC.

Thanks a million :)

Where was this when I tried to figure it out without the benefit of the instructions. While it was not too overly hard to figure out it still was not as easy as I had believed it to be. Glad someone took pics and posted them for reference.:cheers:

I used some wood screws to plug the holes. Make sure they screw in snug. cut them even with the inside of the case and re-install.

Nice pics!

Good work wdavid, glad to see you are using the digicam for some benefit to us all.

Are these gears specific to the 2.5 or will they work for the first generation Maxx?

I believe that the gearing of the maxx's didn't change from first gen to the 2.5.

Originally posted by mcvickj
Are these gears specific to the 2.5 or will they work for the first generation Maxx?
They'll work for sure in the old school tranny, I am not certain but about 95% sure they will work in the 2.5 as well.

They will work in both, wdavidhicks clearly states that this was what he bought for his 2.5

I had to read the technical notes under the forward-only gear a few times before I felt sure that I was getting the right pieces.

So that's one good call, anyway.

hey how much did that cost u? i am looking to get one.

bryan

Hey great info there... I'm looking in to getting a FOC myself. Just one question though. Why a steel FOC kit and an alu 1. gear.

RRP makes the 1. gear in steel also. Am I missing anything or ??

I'm a complete :n00bie:

Regards

ya i know i found the link like right after i got done typing the reply

bryan

Originally posted by Sasquatch
Hey great info there... I'm looking in to getting a FOC myself. Just one question though. Why a steel FOC kit and an alu 1. gear.

RRP makes the 1. gear in steel also. Am I missing anything or ??

I'm a complete :n00bie:

Regards

I researched that issue before I purchased. You don't want similar metal gears meshing.

Any idea as to why? If you have grease in there it shouldn't matter. It isn't like they change metal's on 1:1 cars...

Just curious. My wife just bought me the rrp full trans kit for christmas. All steel. I told her to check out my wish list at lightning hobby and luckily she picked a good assortment from all the crap i had on there.

I did however, have to grind the spur/two speed shaft from rrp to fit into the RacersEdge al trans case. It was about 1mm to long and created binding when i tightened the trans case screws.

Will be running this afternoon.

awesome and easy to follow pics great job

Is it safe to have both metal and plastic gears in the tranny. I seems like the metal one would just rip the plastic one apart

Ps: great post easy for any one to follow those directions

Back