HPI Savage 5T NITRO

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Not a typo.

HPI has come out with a 5th scale Savage nitro.

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/kits/savage5t/index2.html

001.jpg

size.jpg

Last edited:
poop can that nitro motor and make that bad boy brushless.

Very interesting. I have to day though that the stretched chassis looks like it may be prone to twisting.

well, i guess i can get back into nitro now!! wondering how much? hopefully they dont run us over the hot coals. a savy is 500 and a 5t is 1300.. a 5t AND a savy should be about 1500..

Well, if the Savage had rollover problems before...

Dayumm, thats big... The body isnt so great.

i'm not digging it. the narrow chassis looks weird

Looks like they just stretched a Savage XL out by about 5 or 6 inches. I wonder if they are going to offer a conversion kit for the existing savage owners as I would be all over it. What makes it cool is it should still be 4WD, unlike the other 1/5th stuff they offer. Also, I'm not sure if something that big would go really well with the nitro motor instead of the gasoline version. That thing looks TINY in that huge chassis.

I really think it would be under powered......make that thing a 4 wheel drive 3 speed Fuelie.....then I'm sold for sure. But, I think this one will die quick. "A" for effort though!

Well, if the Savage had rollover problems before...

I dunno... with the wheelbase being sooo much longer it should handle quite a bit different than a standard Savage. Not to say that it won't rollover but it would actually be kind of light for something that big since it's just got a nitro engine in it rather than a fuelie.

What makes it cool is it should still be 4WD, unlike the other 1/5th stuff they offer.

I'd be willing to bet that's what they're goin for. Rather than redesign a completely new 1/5 scale fuelie for 4WD it would be a lot cheaper (cost effective in a bad economy) to simply stretch an already popular platform. It's definitly 4WD, you can see the front/center driveshaft.

I really think it would be under powered......

I agree. I dont' know how much it weighs but these big rigs need torque, and nitro engines just don't offer that unless it's a 4-stroke.

The only engines out there that would make that thing fun to drive are the drag modded picco .28 and any of the novarossi .28 MT engines.

The 5.9K is too much of a slug for that. The 4.6 F or K would do better IMO.

Just found this video of it:

It doesn't look underpowered to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
poop can that nitro motor and make that bad boy brushless.

That's it, this is going to be my next conversion. I've got a 80mm Medusa that is dying for a new home.

Do you think they'll let me race it at Mission College? :D

Nice find Rob.

Does anyone remember New Era's 1/5th scale savage kit?