Proline Epic Beadlock Wheel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Proline has released their Epic Beadlock wheels to fit the nitro powered Traxxas Slayer. The Proline Epic bead-loc wheels makes changing tires quick and easy allowing you to spend more time on the track and less in the pits...

Click to continue

Yea, but will it hold a brushless bead???

those are the same ones I put on my stock Slash and they seem pretty durable but again running the Lipos may be another story.

stock rpms, a few thousand, brushless rpms 45000. big ole difference

I have heard very bad things about these wheels. Like wheel hex on wheel breaking, center of wheel busting out, will not hold a bead.

ibought a set of these and they do not hold up to brushless setup too well. after a few minutes they tend to not hold the tire well and become un balanced and come off. several other sites are reporting the same things as well, so i'll stick with glueing my tires again

Update after a couple of weeks running them they seem to pop the beed no matter how careful I am and I am running stock. Just went out and bashed around for 40 mins and sure enough one popped. too bad also because they aren't exactly cheap.

Switch beadlocks vs. Stock

Our group of 4 Traxxas Slayer drivers raced with Proline Switch tires and Epic beadlock wheels over a two day period at Pegasus Hobby Raceway in Pomona CA. I have the following thoughts / observations:
The Track: High traction dirt (when damp) with small to medium jumps and table-tops.

Traction compared to stock wheels and tires…
On a recently watered track, Proline Switch tires cut approximately 1/2 to 3/4 second off lap times.

However, on the same drying to dry track the Prolines cut a full 1.5 seconds on average lap times.

Only problem… Every racer experienced beadlock problems. .. The more grip, the more times they separated during hard digging turns. It was difficult for any one of us to run through more than a tank of fuel without experiencing a problem. .. (BTW, these were crash free laps, crashes and attempts to power roll the truck off its side back onto all four wheels will result in more frequent separations).

Final observation: If they stay on, they are great. Anybody got a fix?

Have them check to see if there is a hole in the inside of the wheel. If not have them drill a hole in the inner part of the wheel (where the foam is). If there is not a hole air will be trapped inside the wheel and as you land from a jump it will cause the tire to expand kind of like squeezing a ballon(forcing the tire off of the bead). If you put a hole in it, this will let the air out and the foam will act as the air in your tires, like anyother rc tire. I have heard that some of the first production wheels didn't have holes in them, and the later batches of them did.

Thanks for your reply. The wheels all four drivers were running are late model with two sizeable factory made holes in each.

16 Wheel and tire sets, most problems were experienced at the rear of the trucks.

High speed, high cornering torque, high traction (the Switch tires work great on a groomed track) when combined with the heavy weight of the Slayer pulls the beads free of inboard side of the rims.

I plan on trying silicon sealer on the beads.

i just put a set of them on my slash

I have a velinon motor and a 7 cell battery powering it. The problem i have is one of my tires has torn right along the bead for about an inch. of course i noticed this after i tipped it and rolled about 4 to 5 times and slamed into a concrect curve. so i think my bad exp is opperator error. btw i mounted some standard proline dirt hawgs tires and ran it for about 15 to 20 mins and they did hold a bead.

Well, I got some for my Slash using a Velenion/VXL set up as well with 7 cell 4600Mah NiMH. I got about 10min in before the tires started popping out of the seam where the bead meets tire. I tightened it down but still same thing. If this tells anyone, anything about them, read the instructions on the inside of the card board flap that hold the bag for the tires. It clearly states to add glue. Something I didn't think you had to do to a bead lock. :angry:

I went though 4, 7 cell 4600 mah batteries brefore my tire tore and along the rim. i am pretty sure i hit something that cut my sidewall and scuffed up my rim. as a side note the only tires you are suppose to use with the ones i have are the switch tires according to pro line.

I went though 4, 7 cell 4600 mah batteries brefore my tire tore and along the rim. i am pretty sure i hit something that cut my sidewall and scuffed up my rim. as a side note the only tires you are suppose to use with the ones i have are the switch tires according to pro line.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, your saying they weren't epics, right? If not, could you post a link to what you used?

Sorry to ask a stupid question, your saying they weren't epics, right? If not, could you post a link to what you used?

I did have epics with switch tires on them. the only ones you are suppose to put on them, but when i cut the side wall on one right next to the retaining rings the only thing i had to put on them was a pair of dirt hawgs which your not suppose to put on those rims

Back