Slipper Clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClean

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was driving my Revo 3.3 today and it seemed as though it wasn't shifting into 2nd gear. Normally the shift to 2nd is a distinct sound and is hard to miss. I thought maybe the tuning needed to be tweaked so I spent about 4 tanks of fuel trying to adjust the tuning and it still wouldn't shift out of first. I got so frustrated that I decided to put it up for awhile and drove it through the grass and noticed the car seemed to bog down and I really had to hammer the throttle to get it to move.

I got it back out this evening and now it's hardly moving forward at WOT. I'm pretty sure the slipper clutch needs to be adjusted, but as usual I'm not sure where those adjustments are made (obvious answer is 'on the slipper clutch'). I've looked at the exploded drawing of the tranny and clutch but I still don't know where to make the adjustment. Thanks in advance!!

You're a good man Rolex!!

I also found out that if you actually take the time to look in the owners manual, it'll show you how to adjust the slipper clutch too. From now on, I promise to look there before posting anymore dumb newbie questions.

By the way, you're link was better, the actual pics of the car show the adjustment spots even better! Now I know why my Revo would hardly pull a wheelie before.
Now she's shifting to second just fine and it's lifting the front end when the throttle is mashed, might have to back it off just a tad.

Totally excellent.
Now go break something. That's the only way to prove you had fun.

True, but when your like me and break something almost every time you run, it gets a tad expensive :D But great wrenching practice! :LOL:

I know without this site and the good people on it, I'd still be staring at my truck, too scared to bash it because I don't want to break anything. Now I'm just letting er rip and waiting for something to break. I've beat up the body pretty good but nothing broke yet. I need to try harder.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a temperamental slipper clutch on their Revo. Mine was slipping really bad tonight and it seems like a 1/16 of a turn and I can barely turn it by hand anymore.

Do I need to clean something like the metal disc or roughen up the pads a little?

I also tightened mine up and what a difference it made, now I can get wheelies to! Also made a huge difference in speed, now it is scary! I actually flipped it and what a surprise that was, all kinds of ugly wrecks, gotta love the trucks. This is why I got out of planes for awhile, crash and it is over.

I had the same problem with my new Revo. I tightened the slipper clutch a little and the next time out stripped the gears in the rear diff. Did I tighten too much or just a coincidence:\

Any one have an opinion?

I had the same problem with my new Revo. I tightened the slipper clutch a little and the next time out stripped the gears in the rear diff. Did I tighten too much or just a coincidence:\

Any one have an opinion?

The slipper clutch is mainly there to protect the plastic gears in the tranny. Since the diffs are metal, they should withstand the harder jolts, but you never know. I stripped both the front and rear diffs on my Revo pretty quickly. There is a rebuild kit that has a stiffener for the diffs, with that I've never had another problem out of the diffs.

I'm trying, really I am.

Currently trying to decide/find an electric rig of some sort. I just don't have the time for the nitros right now. I'd love to run em, but working nights, kids after school stuff, end of the school year...yadda, yadda, yadda, I just have no time for my toys :(