WD40 after run oil???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade88

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Any one use this for after run oil?

hell yeah...

Water Displacement attempt #40

fights the battle against oxidation caused by the hygroscopic properties of nitro fuel.

I personally do not use nor advocate the use of WD-40 as an after-run oil.

BUT, it should not hurt the engine according to many who do use it. It is basically a water displacement formula and lubricant all in one. After run oil is supposedly (according to some) only WD-40 on steroids or a hopped up version of WD-40.

So that being said...you should be okay to use it, but I would recommend getting the real deal if it is available.

What about the gumming of the nitro oil ? does it dissolve that too?

If you have gumming of your nitro fuel, you have some bad nitro fuel. Gumming of any sort is usually caused by an incomplete burn or the wrong kind of additive to the fuel (ie the wrong kind of oil for the engine).

As WD-40 can act as a solvent, it might also rid the engine of the "gumming". BUT I submit that you might want to either get new fuel, different fuel, or change to a hotter plug and to a slightly leaner setting to give you a more complete burn of the fuel entering the engine.

I've used WD-40 for years against everything that's prone to rust. Traxxas recommends it as an alternative for after-run oil.

SkyMaxx... Some speak of running their ARO through via the fuel tank. Do you?

Great I guess Q20 will also work. I just got my new OS15Cv-X and dont want to take any chances ruining it.

When I'm doing a rebuild, or a port job on a motor, I use WD40 to flush out all the parts & casings. Works great without any residue.

Originally posted by wdavidhicks
SkyMaxx... Some speak of running their ARO through via the fuel tank. Do you?

The fuel tank option was just brought to my attention not too long ago (within a day or two ago). I'm sure it would work great.

Until I heard about that, I put the ARO in through the carb and/or through the glo plug hole. A couple of drops in each, and good to go.

The fuel tank idea sounds great to me.

what's the purpose of after run oil and where do u apply it? (noob) and do u have to remove all of it before u run the car again? or is it ok with the nitro?

Nitromethane is hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture from the air that will rust polished steel surfaces like your crank and bearings. Spray after run oil down the carb throat and through the glow plug oil and crank the engine over a few times to work it in. Repeat.

You don't have to remove it before starting again. Most of it blows through the glow plug hole when you work it in. I usually hold a rag over the head and crank the engine while turning the entire truck upside down. (Electric start is good here!)

should you use AFO at the end of every day of bashing/racing? Or should it only be used if your going to "not run" for an extended period of time?

If you are not going to be running your RC for more than three days, then it is a good idea to apply some ARO. If you want to put it in more frequently, there is no harm to the engine. The glo plug won't like it, but the engine will. One thing you will notice, is that after applying ARO the start up might be a little difficult. Other than that, take care of the engine.

I used to use WD40 for ARO, but I heard some bad things about it. There seems to be a big debate regarding it, so I strictly use ARO. I usually use ARO after running for the day. It keeps my engines in top shape.

Back