Revo upgraded 2700mah rx pack/box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting....I have tried craming a hump pack in ther with a spektrum dsm to no avail....this might be worth looking into.

It's not the actual size of the reciever; it's a function called BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuitry) that is in question.

This function actually has roots back in the early 80's, when cars such as the Tamiya Frog came out. They had to run 4 AA batteries (much like a nitro), in addition to the 6 cell pack. Nowadays it's unheard of to run a reciever pack in an electric. This was not because of the design of the cars, per-se, but the design of the radio itself. BEC didn't come along until the late 80's/early 90's. (I might be mistaken).

All BEC is, is a voltage regulator. Without it, your servos could get a voltage higher than what they are safely rated for, and burn up.

Nowadays, BEC is a VERY common feature of any reciever. If your reciever label says "BEC" or "battery eliminator circuitry" on it, it's a safe bet that it WILL work.

edit: Forgot to mention; the only thing that could possibly stop you is the physical size of the battery pack.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of this
http://www.ballisticbatteries.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=140054&InfoID=200&ShowLarge=True

It says it can't work with the stock receiver, Thats a size issue right? Does this mean it can only work with a micro receiver? or any receiver labeled as a micro?

I would think it's a size issue. An AA 5 cell pack is rather large. I have made a few and then got mildly creative mounting them to the vehicles. I haven't tried to fit one in my revo yet. I'd kind of like to see how they modify it and what the pack looks like. If you buy one, take pics please!

I make mine out of 2200Mah NiMH AA sized cells.

I've cut up everything else on my revo... I'm trying to figure out why I haven't installed an AA pack yet. I think the only reason is because it came with a flat 5 cell 2/3 A pack that fits where it's supposed to. Granted, I've noticed shorter run times, but that's why I have two trucks.

The 2200Mah packs will last me all day in the summer.

Looks like as soon as I find the right radio setup I'll give this a try too.

I like that it comes with a modified box which will keep it looking clean, but i can't tell whats changed by the picture. 2700 is a big jump, definitely worth 40 bucks, I'll sell the stock ones on eBay and get 15 buck back.

I'm torn between these two radio sets,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150090172192&fromMakeTrack=true
This is definitely BEC enabled, and it may turn out pretty cheap

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/5996
This is brand new, the receiver is smaller, and it synthesized

They should both work with this battery box right?

edit: will I need a voltage regulator with the Futaba since I can't find BEC on its spec sheet?

Last edited:
I have tested the ballistic packs in our radios they are da bomb...

Funny how things stick in your mind.
Going back 5 years or so, I ordered a battery pack from Ballistic for my T-Maxx. They clearly stated that it was on backorder and that was just fine by me. I paid up and didn't say a word for 10 days. During this time I never got anything from them more them a PP confirmation.

After the 10 days came and went I sent a simple e-mail asking for an update on the pack and a little better communication. Again, they stated on their site it was on backorder and that was fine. The next day I got an e-mail from the owners wife. She went off on me like a drunken sailor at last call in a foreign port. She called me names like I have never been called before and I over the years have been called a lot of things.

As the story unfolds, I'm assuming there were a LOT of backorders and frustration on their part with this particular product. I then again sent a simple reply asking about my order. Again, an e-mail from her that wasn't as bad as the first one but not a nice e-mail. At this point I went back with an e-mail asking why I was being treated this way when simply asking for an order update. I got a return e-mail from this time the owner himself saying Sorry she had you confused with someone else. Nothing more nothing less.

Needless to say, I will share this story whenever possible and have never done business with then again.

Just an amusing story, take it for what its worth.

Here is part of the e-mail that was sent. I would post more but I would have to ban myself.

This is part of an e-mail they sent me after not answering e-mails or returning phone calls for 10 days after my order was placed and my money was taken.

“What more communication do you want??? Should I follow the postman around and call you every 15 minutes and let you know if the truck is on the road or if he stopped to take a We-We???” (I edited the last word.)

“We really don’t have the time to check each and every shipment (do you???) Do you track each of the 150 packages you ship every day for each of your customers and send them or call them with an update of "6:01pm scanned into terminal at phoenix airport” This is just ridiculous.... “

Posted on a forum:

I'm not going to go over this again. You sure fail to tell people how you treated us in all of your emails you sent us. We gave you a refund of all you money plus some. We just got tired of dealing with you and your attitude after many times of explaining what was going on with your order. We even offered you some free product to help you out. You're just upset cause I put my foot down because of the nasty emails you sent us we refunded you all your money. Now you're out the kit and the free product.I guess if our customer service was as bad as you say we would of been out of business many years ago. You dont stay in the battery business for over 13 years treating customers bad.I'm the first one to admit we had problem but you will not listen when we explain why there was a problem and would not hear our apologies....

I can accept this but HE LIED ABOUT FIRING THE PERSON, IT WAS HIS WIFE THAT WROTE THE E-MAIL

Then posted later.
(sorry - it was not fasteddy but another person referring to the above that was banned not for expressing his opinion but for spamming it onto every category/topic on the boards)

For FastEddy: Ed - you are right it was rude and condenscending and totally inappropriate to send to anyone. Patrick fired the person responsible for sending that message but was man enough and had enough class not to humilate the person further by going on about it or blaming them for their lack of judgement. No post you made was ever in jeopardy of being deleted or getting you removed from the board as you spoke the truth without malicious intent. Just presenting your experience. Much as I would like it to go away it happened and has been a great learning experience for our company. I am truly sorry that you had to experience that and be treated that way. There is no excuse for it and no justification. Period. I publicly apologize here for it and again offer to make amends. I was unable to call you personally as the number I have for you says that no such person is there. I did not want to get into another email or public forum debate about this but it is here again so I will say it publicly... It was rude, obnoxious, lacking in dignity and appalling customer service for that email to have gone to you whether the person who sent it felt justified or not it is just plain wrong and you didnt deserve it. It is not our normal practice to respond to customers that way and will NEVER happen again.

And a post on another forum after the fact when I mentioned this e-mail. Still doesn't make it right but its something. No Company should ever take its frustration out on customers.

Leave FastEddy alone - it wasn't him. Pat confused him with someone else. Ed has been more than reasonable and understanding although he received the brunt of customer service frustration through no fault of his own. He has never been mean or nasty or rude or malicious or anything of that sort towards our company (though him of anyone would have a right to be). He deserves our respect for the way he has handled the situation and we can only hope that all customers are as graceful and full of class as he has been over this entire situation.

Again, take it for what its worth. I will never forget this and i will never get another product from this company or any company that would send a customer an e-mail/s and post on forums the way they did. Apology was accepted and I moved on.

Funny how things stick in your mind.
Going back 5 years or so, I ordered a battery pack from Ballistic for my T-Maxx. They clearly stated that it was on backorder and that was just fine by me. I paid up and didn't say a word for 3 weeks. During this time I never got anything from them more them a PP confirmation.

After the 3rd week came and went I sent a simple e-mail asking for an update on the pack. Again, they stated on their site it was on backorder and that was fine. The next day I got an e-mail from the owners wife. She went off on me like a drunken sailor at last call in a foreign port. She called me names like I have never been called before and I over the years have been called a lot of things.

As the story unfolds, I'm assuming there were a LOT of backorders and frustration on their part with this particular product. I then again sent a simple reply asking about my order. Again, an e-mail from her that wasn't as bad as the first one but not a nice e-mail. At this point I went back with an e-mail asking why I was being treated this way when simply asking for an order update. I got a return e-mail from this time the owner himself saying Sorry she had you confused with someone else. Nothing more nothing less.

Needless to say, I will share this story whenever possible and have never done business with then again.

Just an amusing story, take it for what its worth.
:smoke:

The voice of experience weighs in........it is usually well heeded.

I did edit the above post. In their defense, it was 10 days not 3 weeks.
5 years of time clouded my memory and I dont want to spread any untruths or embellish.

well they did take like 2 weeks just to process the order with pretty poor communication, but it did arrive.

so, i guess I'm missing something, but what is wrong with the flat pack that comes with the revo?? i can't you get those with more mah?

to bad I'm running tekno boxes, can't use that box...

whats funny is the pack itself isnt that big. Its three cells in a triangle shape, its volume might be the same as the stock but the funny size cell need a modified box.

so, i guess I'm missing something, but what is wrong with the flat pack that comes with the revo?? i can't you get those with more mah?

2/3A is limited in its capacity to I believe 1400 at this point.

Back