Diary of a Revo......

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderHawk

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, I figure that while updating a stock Revo may be "old" news to the veterans around the board, I notice that there are new folks joining every day. With that in mind, if permitted, The "growing up" of my Revo 3.3 will be documented on this board....Due to the fact that break-in may be weeks away, many cosmetic and functional upgrades are going to occur....just so I can be "tinkering" with it. To the veterans, I plan on posting my future plans as I go along, should I post something that is A BAD IDEA, or financially unneccessary, please advise...

The process begins:

The first night I had the Revo:

I added the Traxxas Aluminum pushrods on all 4 corners installed Center Diff and Rear Break. (Newbies, please search the internet or this site for resources(pictures and directions) on this procedure.....The directions that came with the center diff made it seem much more difficult and confusing to me than some of the resources found on the internet. I was very concerned that I messed it up until I saw the resource page on the Traxxas Site.
These 2 photos show the upgrades from Day One.....I am pretty wordy so I will try my best to keep these segments short...LOL....
Also, I will try to keep the pics to the important upgrades as I will probably run out of space...lol. Anyway, Thanks for Reading....

Hawk

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us informed. To help you on your pics, if you have the macro feature on your camera, turn it on and step back. Zoom in and you should be able to get shots that are clear.

Thanks again man.

Thanks Jon, I will check that out...The rear brake picture is a little on the fuzzy side....

Last edited:
What are you trying to say????LOL

Jon:
3x Thanks Jon!
3x He'll check!
3x Fuzzy Pics!

I'll start charging you for translation services soon!

J/K, great Post Thunder!

That was weird...Sorry about that.......LOL

The next trip to the LHS yielded:

1 set of Traxxas Aluminum Turnbuckles(Red) 2nd set ordered
3 spur gears 36, 38, 40
1 revo spool differential(for later use)
Flash point temp gauge
1 clear Crowdpleazer 2.0 body(looking at a Dark Blue or Black solid with lightening graphics I found on the Inet) May try to use the actual graphic with the "picture glue" for R/C bodies

From E-bay:

One set of Blue Anodized Aluminum Bumpers and braided fuel line with the blue ends.(Waiting impatiently for these)

Short Term things to buy:
A fail safe (to be purchased before running)
Paint, Mask, and Picture Glue

On my long term list:
A set of RPM Arms and Axle Carriers in White Dyable...I am looking at Orange on the arms and Red for the Axle carrier.
Blue or Black Chrome Wheels
Roll Cage

(After break in)
Air filter upgrade
Muffler(like the looks of the new duals)

Anyway, I will post new pics after the bumpers, turnbuckles and fuel lines show up...Thanks for the interest...

Hawk

Just to let you know, diff spools are hard on axles and ring/pinion gears. Especially on MT's when you jump and drive on high traction surfaces.

Hawk, I'd pass on the dual exhaust, my man. Sure, they look good, but aren't really good for your engine and cause tuning headaches out the yang! I'd suggest the Traxxas Resonator or the Trinity pipe, myself. Had the Trinity on my first generation Revo with an OS .18TM and it screamed like a raped ape!

This is a really good Idea, thanks.

And if anyone else can weigh in with pro/con of any controversial hop ups- this could be a near perfect guide.

Well, I'd also stay away from anything with the word "Integy" on it (unless you want a pure shelf queen, even then I'd be wary).

I wouldn't replace the arms with RPM until the stockers broke. Frankly, the stockers are built great and I only replaced them after a serious, serious crash where I broke both sets of front arms (yep, both sets!)

I'd reference the Traxxas site and do the single-servo steering mod and Slayden mod's. Adds a lot of steering throw.

I personally found the P2 rockers to be the best for both racing and bashing, but it's a preference thing.

Check out the Revo resources sticky on this forum, a ton of great information on hop-ups and set-ups!

Upgrading to traxxas TiN shock shafts makes the shocks last longer. Dumping reverse, get a FOC (forward only conversion). Ditch the dual steering servo's and get a decent single servo (hitex 985MG would work well). Also get the heavy duty servo saver spring if you upgrade the servo.

Thanks Guys, I have read that about the diff spool. I bought to have in case the situation would arise. Posi-traction does sound kinda fun though...I will definitely subsitute the "resonator" pipe for the dual....thanks for that info.

I've heard and seen that the aluminum Traxxas links break very easily. It might be better to go with maybe some of the titanium links from Lunsford. As far as arms go, I'm with Monkey Wrench, wait until you break them. I've been bashing my 3.3 and haven't broken an arm yet!

Another area I did beef up was the skid-plates. I used the Hard Core Racing Titanium One-Piece unit for the Revo 3.3. Haven't been able to scratch much less dent it!

Today's trip to the LHS......

Decided to go ahead and purchase the Traxxas Shock upgrades and installed those this afternoon...I was semi surprised that they have a "lower" bling factor...I thought they would look a little different...I also purchased a new "steering" set. (When I was installing the turn-buckles, The screw would not tighten((stripped))...There had to be a flaw because I put very little torque on it when I tried to tighten it.) So I went ahead and replaced the lower steering arm with the new part....My bumpers and braided fuel line came today...I installed the bumpers...They look ok, but I don't really care for them with the Revo Body...When I paint the Crowd Pleazer I will be looking for something that contrasts better. Also purchased was a fuel filter from dynamite and an OFNA "Fail Safe". And finally I picked up some sprayable paint and masking liquid. All thats really left for now is the rear aluminum turnbuckle upgrades. They should be in on Wednesday.

One question, where do you folks prefer to install the fuel filter? I am holding off on installing the fuel line and filter until after the break in...Less variables...

Thanks,

Hawk

If it was me, I would listen to these guys.

I tried a spool thinking it was cool also. All it did was making driving a challeng. My spool actually twisted up...using a stock 2.5r. I'll post a picture of it if I can find it. Just put some really heavy weight greese instead with the Spiders. As for the RPM arms, that company totaly rocks but I'm going to have to side in with MW etc. I've had my Revo about a year and haven't replaced a stock arm yet. I must be a sorry basher lol The only thing I did, was some RPM turn buckles...now I actually boke one of those before :whhooo: Now for the Skid plates, I would go with hamz9561 and his hardcore idea. I ended up doing the pice together plates and they're ok. But I got a hardcore on my son's Emaxx and it rocks. I never once think about hurting that thing. Well that is when ever my son lets me drive it :depress:

Anyways best of luck with it and thanks to everyone who gave me advice :bow:

Believe me, I am listening...I have it if the need arises....I may fine a loose gravel pile or something to play on...LOL. It may never be installed...The arms are going to wait....I figured out what I have in this baby already and it is kinda scary...lol. After the rear turn buckles, I am done for awhile....I hope...

Thanks for the input,

Hawk

Crash Test Dummy - NOT

I'm familiar with the mods ppl do to their truck - I also have the 'need for speed' and try to get performance before practical design. I recently killed my REVO 3.3 engine - it was running nicely at 137 degrees Celsius at peak on 25/10 nitro but I ran out on a meet and decided to use 25/14 - and ouch it overheated and - well u know the rest.

I've put an RB 9 port in to give my beast some real grunt. After 6 hours of fiddling with the fit out and changing the spur and clutch gears - Its almost right.

However I was having difficulty getting the carby to open fully- the linkage is not exactly a good design and Traxxas should have a rethink about this setup. I now have a solution available to those who do this super rebuild to their REVO. (It will be posted on reply).

My truck weight is 4.0Kg (fully Gassed) and has a tuned top speed of 70Mph.
I spent about $1K on aluminium, titanium and carbon hop ups to drop the weight and add strength so the thing won't break when in falls 2 metres out of a jump.
When u are racing its not the jumps but the other ppl smashing into u that does most damage - so build it like u want it to last - Bling factor is not for ooooh-droool. I have chosen the most vulnerable parts and refitted them with stronger material and the design has made my truck lighter weight.

End result for me is - less time in the pits - more time refining driving skills.

I also got a fuel tank conversion kit from TEKNO Performance Parts - that way I can get some mileage (250cc) with longer running time between refills converting to a size for fun vs. racing requirements (150cc) an easy drop in conversion for race day.

For Aluminium Hopups go to EBay then do a search on the following:
hopmeup
Goodgoods

There are a few others - but these guys are my choice for reliability and service quality - I live in Australia and hop up parts are hard to find here for any RC.

A must for all would be racers of REVO’s
Convert the center diff and get the rear brake kit. Its going to make your truck handle much better. You will get rid of a servo and reverse gear – that’s a big weight reduction.

Make sure your spur gear is made out of metal - get rid of all plastic spurs - The more torque u have the more likely things will get ripped appart. Plastic melts at high temperature.

REVO SERVICING for RELIABILITY

60%Teflon greese in the starter gearbox and ball end casings - end of season
100K-300K Silicon Oil Front Diff - end of season
5K-25K Silicon Oil Rear Diff - end of season
30K-70K Silicon Oil Centre Diff - end of season or 1 year
Oil Filter - clean for each meeting
Glow Plug - as required
40K Silicon Oil Front Shocks - end of season
30K Silicon Oil Rear Shocks - end of season
Strip and clean fuel tank - check seals and filter at end of season
Wash and clean assembly or air gun grime and dust after each meeting

If u dont know how to service your truck - go to the Traxxas website and download the PDF worksheets on the different parts of your truck - it will teach u what I have learned and make u better prepared when something goes wrong. The REVO is really easy to work on when u know what to do.

I've heard and seen that the aluminum Traxxas links break very easily. It might be better to go with maybe some of the titanium links from Lunsford. As far as arms go, I'm with Monkey Wrench, wait until you break them. I've been bashing my 3.3 and haven't broken an arm yet!

Another area I did beef up was the skid-plates. I used the Hard Core Racing Titanium One-Piece unit for the Revo 3.3. Haven't been able to scratch much less dent it!

+1 for this advice...I have whole pile of the broken red ali ones. Finally got Lungsfords....no troubles.

My goal is......

I am looking for some speed, durability and a little bling. I doubt I will race this truck very much. I will be bashing more than racing. I live in an area where I can always find a place to turn this baby loose. I went with the Center Diff because the LHS owner was discussing some of the issues you run into with reverse...I may or may not upgrade the steering and go with a new radio system. If I do, it will be in the future...The shop where I bought the car has 2 tracks....So I will not only have a place to practice but also to try my hand at racing...Anyway, I will post a few more pics when everything is completed....Thanks for the interest....

Hawk

I will look into the lunsford when the "red" one break. Thanks

Last edited: