Revo 3.3 or 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobDog

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I went to my local Rc shop in Colorado Yesterday with my mind set on buying a new Revo 3.3. The guys at the shop actually recommended the 2.5 over the 3.3. They said its not that much faster in Colorado because of our high altitude and definately not worth the extra $. I am hoping to get as many opinions as possible from those of you that are in the know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dude for the extra 50$ just get the 3.3. Its got the longer chasie which helps for handleing and the altude shouldnt be a factor. I've got my truck to run in the High Sierra's and thats pretty high. Id go for the 3.3. Just my 2 cents.

Bryson

Well first off, what do you plan on doing with it? I think your LHS may be leading you astray before you even get going, mainly because they have "old" revo's they can't get rid of. The altitude only effects tune not so much your performance. I find their statement to be really off base as the 3.3 which is a .20 (midblock) is considerably faster than the 2.5 which is a .15. The 3.3 is about as quick as an OS .18TM which many 2.5 owners end up putting into their Revo's (me included when I had one). If you plan to or think you might race at some point, go with the 3.3, the longer wheelbase alone is a big help on the overall handling of the Revo which is already a great racer. If you plan to just bash, then you can get by with an older model, tell em to make you a better deal cause they need to get rid of their older merchandise! LOL

I was always happy with the speed and performance of my 2.5r Revo. I picked up a Jato w/ a 3.3 in it, ran it up and down the street a few times before gettin ready to repair it. Then I ran the Revo and it seemed really laggy and slow.. That was fine, I bought the Jato with intentions of swappin motors. Little did I know the huge difference in power that 3.3 engine makes. I'd START with a 3.3 if I did it again. It really wakes the Revo up. I have no intention of replacing this engine until i blow it up.

Hope this helps!
Mike

RobDog,

Jet Mech has the right line of thinking...what are going to do with it?
I personally own both and I like them each for thier own strengths. To Race go with the 3.3 and run the Steve Slayden set up from the traxxas site.

For bash get the 2.5 (work a deal) and when the engine dies buy an OS 18TM for it.....that makes agreat combo with a nice pipe.

Hope this helps.

I'd go with Talon, on the thinking.
I got two 2.5R's and the bashtruck is surely getting a 3.3 engine sooner or later. I find the 2.5 well powered, and would for that reason only upgrade if one of the engines died.

REVOME

Thanks for all the responses so far. For those of you who asked I will just be bashing with the new Revo. I'm curious, just how much faster is the 3.3 over the 2.5? One of the guys at the shop said I would notice a little on the top speed, but thats about it.

I'm curious, just how much faster is the 3.3 over the 2.5? One of the guys at the shop said I would notice a little on the top speed, but thats about it.

They are both great trucks and you will like either one but as for as speed and power......Low end top end the 3.3 is faster and the difference was very noticeable to me!

When I bought my Revo 3.3, I decided to go ahead and get the bigger one because of the longer chassis. It really helps keep the power planted. The way to upgrade this beast is really to wait until something breaks. The only pre-first run mods that I made was to add a Motor Saver air filter, a Dynamite Fatboy fuel filter and a new receiver to go with my Spektrum transmitter. Hope this helps.:redbuggy:

Thanks or all the help. From the comments it looks like there is a noticable difference with the 3.3.

Back