Shock Question?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R/C Newbie

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a revo 3.3 and am trying to find out how to stiffen up the shocks. Everytime I jump it it seems to bottom out. Also I notice in most of the pictures people submited to win the mag they have there cars on boxes or stands to the wheels are off the ground is there an advantage to this?

Thanks in advance ;)

there are a few options to stiffen shocks.

Shock oil weight and shock sping rate

Thicker oil tends to absorbe larger jumps, but sucks one the small bumps because the shocks cannot compress and expand quickly.

Stiffer springs work by giving a quicker rebound.

Is your truck in stock form?

Thanks for posting this, R/C. I was going to ask the same thing. :)

There are hex-nuts at the top of my shocks, are these for making them stiffer/softer, and if so which way do I turn them? Once again, my manual has failed to be useful in any way, and so is the website.

I have a revo 3.3 and am trying to find out how to stiffen up the shocks. Everytime I jump it it seems to bottom out.

Like VB says, shock oil is to control the speed at which the shocks move, not provide suspension. If your bottom-out problem is minor, slowing down the shock speed with a thicker oil **may** help but most likely the answer is going to be in stiffer springs. Changing the ride height will change the dynamics on the rest of the track, you don't really want to alter the ride height from stock, which for most vehicles is dogbones level.

Also don't overfill your shocks to provide more suspension. A properly filled shock will not have "bounceback" when you push it in and out, it should hardly move at all. If you fill shocks so they bounce back when pushed in, they are too full and this will cause the shocks to leak.

Supporting a vehicle on a stand is more to prevent flat spotting on the tires than anything. Plus it adds the cool factor. :D

Thanks for posting this, R/C. I was going to ask the same thing. :)

There are hex-nuts at the top of my shocks, are these for making them stiffer/softer, and if so which way do I turn them? Once again, my manual has failed to be useful in any way, and so is the website.
Yeah them hexes make them a little stiffer/softer. When you turn the hex and it goes down, (Clockwise) thats stiffer. The higher you have that hex on the shock (Counter clockwise) the softer.

Thanks, I couldn't figure out if they were for looks, attaching them to the struts, or stiffening them.

How do I tell what weight oil I have in my shocks, and what's best for them? Where do I get shock oil? I don't know where my LHS is, otherwise I'd go there. I live in Leavenworth, KS, if anyone knows where the nearest LHS is, please tell.

Doesn't the revo 3.3 come stock with P2 rockers and 30 weight oil?

I have tried running p2 rockers on my 2.5 chassis revo with 60 weight and blue springs all around. It still bottoms out easy and the heavy oil damages the shock/rod ends.

I've just recently installed P3 rockers, I'm using blue springs still, but I've dropped the oil down to 50. I haven't run it yet though as it's been too cold. Even if it wasn't, I noticed a crack in the chassis at the engine bay, so I just bought a 3.3 chassis off ebay today.

Regardless, the P3's make it feel much stiffer from about 1/4 compression to full compression. It gets really stiff towards fully compressed... I may actually have to lighten the oil and springs, but time will tell.

Thanks, I couldn't figure out if they were for looks, attaching them to the struts, or stiffening them.

How do I tell what weight oil I have in my shocks, and what's best for them? Where do I get shock oil? I don't know where my LHS is, otherwise I'd go there. I live in Leavenworth, KS, if anyone knows where the nearest LHS is, please tell.
Here are two Hobbytown USAs I found. You're about halfway between them.

Eastgate Plaza
Address: 8113 East Kellogg Ave, Suite 200
Wichita, KS 67207
Phone: (316) 683-7222
Fax: (316) 683-8215

Regency Park
Address: 9270 Metcalf
Overland Park, KS 66212
Phone: (913) 649-7979
Fax: (913) 649-7981

I can sympathize with you, I lived in Manhattan for a number of years.:tank:

Back