possible engine damage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adssmuri

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I installed a 3.3 w pullstart and did the break in today and its running between 201/215 and ran 5 tanks. While running the 5th tank i realized that it was reaching high rpm but the speed wasn't fast. I noticed the glowplug was loose to the point it was speweing fuel. I tightened the glowplug almost a full turn. I hope i didnt damage the engine. I throttled full and did not shift to second gear either. I removed the engine and i can turn it easily. Could I have damaged the compression on the engine?? also i am using the original clutch assembly. Should I get a new clutch.

loose slipper

I checked everything and noticed the slipper was fairly loose. I could turn it and showed little resistance. I wonder if this is causing the truck to accelerate without gradual pitch increase and produce slower speeds. I went ahead and tightened the slipper a bit more. Will let you know how it goes.

It does sound like a slipper clutch. Can you tell us how you are adjusting it?

I found a Performance Set up Guide by Steve Slayden at the Traxxas website that covers clutch and drivetrain. it mentions how to do it. What I did was I removed the transmission. Then I inserted a driver into the slipper shaft that exits the front of the transmission in order to lock the shaft for adjustment. I userd an 8mm socket and adjusted the slipper so it would have more friction when i turn it. can't wait till tomorrow to test it.

jon what about the glowplug being loose for 5 tanks. Do you think that can cause serious damage to the engine?

Don't know if can cause damage. It can be a headache to tune if it was loose during all your runs. If it came off due to vibration, I would be bummed. You really should have it loose only at the beginning when youare trying to start it. I have yet to do that to a small block. The bigger 21s and up can be a pain. That is when I may do that. If anything, I will heat the head up a bit first.

The only good thing i guess is that it never stalled and the temp never went above 220. I dont think it came off due to vibration. But It came like that from factory. Lessons learned.

When I first got a tmaxx awhile back I ran it by accident with the glow plug loose. It was the .15 model tmaxx and I ran roghly 4 tanks before I noticed it was loose. It did not cause any damage to my engine and my engine ran fine until my truck took on a fence and the engine shattered into pieces. So IMO I don't think you would have caused too much damage to your engine. But I may be totally wrong. I am just speaking from the experience that I have had.

Thanks Big Dan. Ill let you guys know tomorrow how it went.

successful break-in

Guys, The slipper adjustment was the solution. The truck now makes a gradual pitch increase as I accelerate and it also runs fast!! one thing though, was that when the truck was below 200 degrees it wouldnt engage second gear. It would shift as soon as it reached 210/220.

It even wheelied when running it on the dirt which never happened before.

Thanks for the help and here's a few pics of my rig.

Attachments

• revo side view.jpg
    revo side view.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 77
  • revo naked.jpg
    revo naked.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
yayyy for stock parts!! my revo barely even looks like a revo anymore. well... the layed down shocks give it away, but still. diggin the blue huh? i've tried my best to get rid of all of it. all thats left is the dust boots on the axles... haha. can't loose those it would seem. anyway...

looks like you're learning a lot. keep it up, if you ever stop learning, you're dead :p

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm stoked with the speed on this thing. I ordered a wing mount and wing and also the rear break kit. I noticed that since installing the FOC the brakes are different. it breaks and it sinks from the front and even after adusting the break, it takes longer to break than it did before changing the parts.

Thanks, I'm stoked with the speed on this thing. I ordered a wing mount and wing and also the rear break kit. I noticed that since installing the FOC the brakes are different. it breaks and it sinks from the front and even after adusting the break, it takes longer to break than it did before changing the parts.

FYI, In order for you to be able to use the rear brake kit, you will need the center diff kit.

Thanks for the tip, If I replace the FOC kit with the center diff kit, the FOC is done, trash.

Back