break in stock or with Hop-Ups

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adssmuri

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Guys, I just received a 3.3 from Traxxas replacement after killing my original engine before the Holidays. I have a THS heather/pipe combo and also a Motor Saver air filter. Do you recommend breaking in the engine with the stock parts or can I do the break in after installing all the hop-ups i previewsly purchased.

I recommend sealing the carb neck and the backplate with some RTV silicone.

May I ask if there was any fees paid for your 3.3 replacement?

Thanks for the tip. The replacement was $135.00 including shipping costs and it came with the pull starter since I wanted to remove the EZ-Start anyway. What about changing the air filter and the exhaust. Should I break it in stock??

I recommend the same break in that Traxxas gives in the DVD if you know if no other.

I think itd be fine to break it in with the upgraded pipe and air filter.

Bryson

yeah, i don't think jon understood the question, you should definitely break it in with your upgraded parts. it won't make too much difference, but you might me able to get a little more out of it with that pipe during break-in.

let us know how it is.

I did understand, but his history with his last engine, I offered a tried and true method. I would hate to see him go through that again with his replacement.

I personally like to break things in with stock parts as much as possible if I can so when I do put the aftermarket power add ons, I will get to feel a difference.

I think itd be fine to break it in with the upgraded pipe and air filter.

Bryson

+1

Infact I reccomend it....you should always break in the engine with the gear you are going to run.

That way your tuning time is not wasted....and the engine adjusts to the upgrade cmponants during break in.

Be sure to follow the break in method reccomended by the manual.:yes:

Thanks but right now I did 5 tanks with everything stock and had issues with the slipper clutch as I posted on my other thread. If everything works fine tomorrow I will change the pipe and the air filter.

Talon your right though, I will have to retune the engine for the hop ups.
jon has a good point also, I am a noob and already killed one engine. Ill keep it on the safe side and use the traxxas components.

Thanks for all your help