Revo stalls...need tuning help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susman

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a problem with my revo 2.5
it stalls out after a high speed run with heavy breaking
some say carb adjustments
how do i do this

Last edited:
refer back you your manual. have you had it for awhile? i assum past break if your taking high speed runs. may want to slightly richen your LSN.(unless you already have) if you have then adjust you idle stop screw according to your manual. and lastly are you using any throttle trim to idle if you are the you definenly need idle adjustments

its new with maybe ten tank fulls used.
i had a hobby shop adjust it, but still stalls out

sounds to me like your LSN may be abit lean. and your supposed to adjust your idle stop after break in period beacsue it will idle lower than new because the fuel mixture richer when you get it from the factory as you well know. or your HSN may just be to lean. try richining it about 1/12 -1/8th of a turn.

The first thing I would check is to make certain that the application of brake is not causing the carb to close all the way.

Next, I would check to make certain your idle set screw is set properly to stop the carb from closing all the way when at idle.

From there, I need to know if the car stalls right after you let off the throttle at the end of your high speed run or if it bogs down and stalls. The way to know is that the stall is immediate when you let off the throttle to apply brakes...or the engine kind of gurgles then dies after you let off the throttle to apply the brake.

Could be an air leak.............are all of the usual suspects areas good and air tight?

back plate
header
Filter
Cooling head
10 tankfuls is the time things come loose.
Lastly do a search here for engine stalls...as there can many reasons for this.

I have the lsn set to when I pinch the fuel line the engine dies after about 2/3 second's ( that's what the owners manual say's). I haven't even touched the idle screw yet, idle seems good. My engine runs at abot 230-240 and I get a trail of blue smoke. What is your temp and are you getting blue smoke. If the engine dies at high speeds the hsn is too lean and you need to richen it 1/8 until the engine runs proper, I had this problem a little bit, just mess around with the hsn a little bit. I am comming up on my 6th tank of gas

Last edited:
reply to stalling problem

my revo stalls at the end of braking when i start to make my turn. take note that the stalling mostly occurs after very hard braking. thank you for the reply. hope to hear what u might have in mind. my hobbyshop "professional"
must be dumb.

Well when you brake normally or does it stall? Better yet if you are at operating temps and you apply brakes does it stall? I am thinking that if you are sucking in all this air and then cut the air flow down by braking you may be causing a rich condition at brakes. Meaning that you are set too fat or too much fuel flow. How is your top speed. Can you attain top speed?

Please explain.

stalling problems revo

Let me start all over. My revo stalls out instantly at the very end of hard braking and at the very beginning of my turn. After stalling, I need to apply moderate throttle for it to restart. After restarting, r/c stalls out in less than 3 seconds. The smoke trail seems good, but i do smell the fuel strongly (I'm not sure if normal, or too rich). My hobby professional didn't comment on fuel odor.

Last edited:
Ok have you checked that the glo plug is seated properly and that the washer is present and not warped?

revo stalling

Its a new glow plug and washer.
didn't see any thing wrong with it.
from info i gathered from everyone makes me believe the carb is closing completely in the nuetral position and even closing tighter with the braking.
or there can posibly be an air leak at the o-rings

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my new revo 2.5r a few weeks ago,,come to find out the carb was almost closing off completly,,take off your air filter and look at the opening on the carb slide,,I couldnt hardly see one. The manual says set to 1mm I think(dont quote me on that) so I just looked up a conversion table online and found one of my hex head wrenches,,I think it was the .05 inch was around 1.3mm so adjusted the opening a tad bit smaller so the hex wrench couldnt slide into the opening.Figured that had me in the ball park.

Then while looking at your carb opening,,turn on the electronics and apply full brakes and make sure the opening dont close anymore..

revo stalling

I'll try that. Thank you. I know theres a small gap in the carb, but not sure if its open enough.

When set properly, the gap or opening of the carb will be about the thickness of a credit card when the throttle is at neutral. While you are checking the gap, check it when you apply brakes on the throttle and see if that closes the carb anymore than it is with the setting to neutral. If it does, then you need to make certain you do not have any programmed slop in your throttle control. As in make certain your throttle setting is truly neutral.

From there, the immediate stall after applying the brakes after a high speed run and the ensuing stall close to the start indicate to me a lean condition on the HSN and possibly on the LSN also. You may need to richen things up a little bit. Why is this? You apply throttle and overcome the lean by forcing fuel into the engine. When you apply brakes, this returns the engine to neutral, closing the carb to neutral...chopping airflow and fuel flow. If the engine is set too lean, then it does not get enough fuel to maintain an neutral idle through the braking and/or turn.

I'd set the carb properly...thickness of a credit card gap when at neutral.
Then reset the needles to factory presets...and retune the engine. Tune the HSN first and then adjust the LSN only if necessary (which in many cases, you may find you do not need to adjust the LSN).

revo stalling problems

thanks for the info
i checked the carb gap and found that there is about a credit card opening at neutral and a braking
i also reset all the needles back to factory settings (i hope, if i understood the manual completely)
my next step is to wait for a nice day to retune the motor properly

i also have a question about glueing tires properly.
i had a tire that needed reglued, now when i jump my rc it looks like a wounded duck.
should i just buy a new pre glued tire

I am not certain I understand the issue with the tire. When you say the truck looks like a wounded duck, what do you mean with respect to the tire? Is it properly seated on the rim and maintaining the shape of a tire when it is being driven...or is something amiss?

tire problems

when i take it off a jump, the rc wobbles and wiggles. Its so busy in the air, i can't seem to react to its inaccuracy

thanks for the info
i checked the carb gap and found that there is about a credit card opening at neutral and a braking
i also reset all the needles back to factory settings (i hope, if i understood the manual completely)
my next step is to wait for a nice day to retune the motor properly

i also have a question about glueing tires properly.
i had a tire that needed reglued, now when i jump my rc it looks like a wounded duck.
should i just buy a new pre glued tire
Are you still using the stock plug or another one?

As for your tires, just get some slow curing CA glue and a nice rubber band that is big enough to wrap around but needs to be snug enough to wrap around it.