Tunning a HOT engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoVert

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have been running my new revo for the last couple of days, right after breaking it in, I have been tunning it to get the best performance. The current status is that it will start easily, I have a nice stream of light blue smoke. Since today is a little humid I have richened the hsn and lsn a little.

Overall this is my problem.
1. It idles high, so I have been slowly richening the lsn mixture. Has not seemed to work yet. I have turned down the trim on the remote all the way, so that is not an oversight here. I got to a point, richening the lsn where the engine would no longer start and idle any more. When I moved the setting back to where it would start, it started to idle high again.
2. The engine over heats. The only factor that I can attribute to the heat is the lsn setting.

Not sure where to go from here.

Sounds to me like you may have an air leak. I'd suggest checking the fuel tank gasket, the fuel lines and seal your engine with RTV sealant. Just need to seal the backplate and carb throat.

Your HSN controls the entire fuel flow into the engine. The LSN just fine tunes the fuel flow from about 0-1/4 throttle. If your HSN is lean, it will make the engine lean throughout the entire throttle range.

Just trying to help.

An airleak also causes issues like this.

you can idle it down with the idle adjustment on the carb. Might just be set to high. tune it, set the high and low, then idle it down.

Thanks for the feed back. I have been reading about leaks but was not sure if it applied to this.

Would an air leak cause the engine to idle high, and then would a high idle cause my engine to over heat?
The sputtering concerns me. It has happened now twice while I was running it and I stopped before finishing the tank to avoid damage, in both cases.
Could I have damaged my engine already, I have ran less than 10 tanks.

Typically, an air leak will cause it to idle rough. If it's idling high, but smooth (consistent RPM's) then it sounds like the idle adjustment screw needs turned out. You want to maintain about a 1mm gap on the carb barrel. Your LSN could be too lean as well.

Best thing to do is set your needles back to their stock settings and go from there. You want to set the HSN for best performance before tinkering with the LSN and usually you don't need to fiddle with the LSN much. Once you get the HSN dialed in and your running temps in the 250 degree range, pinch the fuel line going to the carb. You should get to about 3-4 seconds before the engine shuts down. Any quicker and your LSN is too lean. Any longer and your LSN is too rich.

Good luck!