Tuning the 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoVert

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey,
I just got through breaking in the Traxxas Revo 3.3. It is around 40 degrees outside so I used the cold weather tunning advise in the manual. Anyway, after replacing the glow plug and cleaning the filter, I am out for my first run.
The first tank of gas goes well and the engine temp seems to be good (I do not have a gauge). I lean the mixture 1/4 turn and adjust the shift point. The Revo is running great. Extremely fast in relation to the T-Maxx .15.

So here is my question or concern. Towards the end of the second run on the second tank the engine started sputtering. I shut it off and pulled the cover to take a look. The Cooling head was very hot, I think to hot. Not sure if the heat caused the sputtering. I was still seeing blue smoke after leaning out the high speed settings so I thought that was ok. Can anyone help.

Richen it up a 16th and see what happens. They tend to run a little leaner when they get past 1/2 tank and even more around 1/4th.

Sounds like you have a grip on it. I like to run a bit on the sloppy side, engines last longer. You will also see some improvement in power over the next 5-10 tanks. It will start to wake soon.

Thanks for the feed back. I will try that. I am a little anxious about taking care of the Revo, since I did not follow any of the tips for the T-Maxx. The T-Maxx still runs, but is begging for the 2.5 upgrade. Thanks again.

Hey I have ran a little over 1/2 gallon though my revo 3.3 and still have the 1st plug in it is that bad? running great

If it aint broke.....

Hey I have ran a little over 1/2 gallon though my revo 3.3 and still have the 1st plug in it is that bad? running great

The old addige if it aint broke aplies here. I have run some plugs fgor 6 gallons or more. Some two gallons and they are done others die with a tank full.

Keep a spare or two handy and DRIVE ON!!! I am using the Mccoy 59s at the urging of others who are wiser...they seem to be great plugs.

Newbie Thanks

I just got my Revo 3.3 and am getting ready to break it in. Thanks for the good advice on glow plugs.

I just got my Revo 3.3 and am getting ready to break it in. Thanks for the good advice on glow plugs.

Cool....just take your tuime and do it right.....it will pay big time on the other end...

It really all depends on how well you maintain it and drive it. If you just run and then shut it off, store it and wait till it breaks to service it, then expect the life to be short. If you do after run maintenance than you will see the life of your engine increase. Also running the engine at WOT all the time for long durations will also bring it down. I am not saying be a sissy on the throttle but use moderation when opening her up.

It really all depends on how well you maintain it and drive it. If you just run and then shut it off, store it and wait till it breaks to service it, then expect the life to be short. If you do after run maintenance than you will see the life of your engine increase. Also running the engine at WOT all the time for long durations will also bring it down. I am not saying be a sissy on the throttle but use moderation when opening her up.

BS Trigger finger firmly pulled back at all times....until you crash and it wont move any more....!!!!!!!!!:LoL:

Ok well that will not work .....but I think as Jon2 says use common sense not to over rev or abuse the engine and it will serve you well. Always do the after run...it is a good time to inspect everything and catch repairs as the break is in progress....I also use the time to clean the rig and set it up for the next run ....so I can grab and go whenever the urge arises and weather allows...;)

Later
Talon

The old addige if it aint broke aplies here. I have run some plugs fgor 6 gallons or more. Some two gallons and they are done others die with a tank full.

Keep a spare or two handy and DRIVE ON!!! I am using the Mccoy 59s at the urging of others who are wiser...they seem to be great plugs.

As a side note, I use those in my Nitro boat (OS .61) and they are absolutely bullet proof. I should say, I use ONE in my boat, as it has gotten me through an entire season once.

I do use after run and clean my whole rig with compressed air after every run so do they last 6 months a year 2 years what the average life? I guess I mean more like hours how many hours is the engine good for if taken care of?

I do use after run and clean my whole rig with compressed air after every run so do they last 6 months a year 2 years what the average life? I guess I mean more like hours how many hours is the engine good for if taken care of?

Asking how long an engine will last is like asking how long will I live or how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop...no one knows.

Ok I was just trying to find out if threes a round about like with 2 strokes Personal Watercraft you need a rebuild at around 200 to 250 hours. Did not know if they had an estimated engine life??

Ok I was just trying to find out if threes a round about like with 2 strokes Personal Watercraft you need a rebuild at around 200 to 250 hours. Did not know if they had an estimated engine life??

There is no real definitive answer. Its up to the user and how they maintain the engine during play and after.

Humm well I guess umm..... Jon how long have most of your nitro engines lasted?

The reason I asked about engine life is the guys at my LHS are saying the 3.3 is a crap engine and only last for 3 to 5 gallons of fuel I was wondering if this is the case as I just invested a little over 700 in my revo with all the extra stuff I bought. I am new to this and do not know much but I would expect it to last more than 3 gallons. I think thats alot of money to put out on something that last just a short time is this true?

The reason I asked about engine life is the guys at my LHS are saying the 3.3 is a crap engine and only last for 3 to 5 gallons of fuel I was wondering if this is the case as I just invested a little over 700 in my revo with all the extra stuff I bought. I am new to this and do not know much but I would expect it to last more than 3 gallons. I think thats alot of money to put out on something that last just a short time is this true?

As I said in my PM to you, your LHS is high. Ask them what their life expectancy of the 3.3 is and what they expect it to be. I really want to know this.

they told me 3 to 5 gallons of fuel through it and the 3.3 is done is that true?

3-5 gallons on a stock engine is pretty damn good in my book.