NE BB Kit Installed, Sad temp exhaust- Revo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all. My wife just got me a NE BB kit for me for Christmas. I didn't realize the exhaust was going to be such a pain. I hacked up a savage header and used a few couplers and whatnot just so I could run it this week while I'm off work. I'm planning on getting a trinity pipe, but I was curious what guys were using with the 21's with a side pipe header? With the NE kit, I think I need one that is longer than a typical one. I found one that may work perusing Tower, the duratrax warhead header.

Other than the exhaust, installation was pretty easy. Everything fit without much hassle. My only issue with the 21RG is that the LSN is impossible to get at and the idle is at a bad angle. Hopefully the engine was close to tuned...

Anyway, I know this is a sad sad looking setup, but here are the pics:
2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitExhastSideHigh.jpg

2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitExhaustSideLow.jpg

2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitExhaustSideLow2.jpg

2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitRear.jpg

2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitTankSide.jpg

2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitTop.jpg

The good news is that the arm just barely touches the starter housing of the big OS starter. I have two of these engine sitting on a shelf and I wanted to use them.

Had to update the exhaust already... the orange thing tore. It was a air filter neck. I replaced it with a 90 1/2" copper elbow. Other than the orange thing, I really enjoyed the 10 minutes it lasted. It kind of makes me miss my 21 Maxx... well, not really, but it was very reminiscent of it.

Anyway, updated pics:
2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitRearCopper.jpg

2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitExhaustSideCopper.jpg

2006-1226-RevoNEBBKitTopCopper.jpg

Oh, and it was cold out, that's why there's a sock on the head. It was 28F out.

True to the title earned. Dr Frankenstein. How does she run? That set up looks very prone to getting damaged.

dont think too much go to vantage exh. its good and find some klips for your car

jon, I was thinking the same thing. That's one hell of a FrankenRevo. I can only assume that when olds bashes, he bashes hard! At least he's giving it a workout. Too bad I don't have a solution for you, olds.

True to the title earned. Dr Frankenstein. How does she run? That set up looks very prone to getting damaged.

Yeah... I know it looks like crap. But it looks like crap in general due to the half body and roll bars. I'll hopefully find out how it holds up tomorrow. It seems pretty solid. I've seen a lot of side piped revo's, but I don't recall any with the NE BB kit. A lot of the guys that run the RB and other drop in BB's run a side pipe. They seem to hold up to some serious bashings.

dont think too much go to vantage exh. its good and find some klips for your car

Not real sure what your talking about...

Last edited:
As for how it ran, it ran well... for about 5 minutes, then the orange thing tore. I don't think that will be an issue now.

It was kind of cool to see brute torque bring the wheels up instead of RPM's from my 18TM. I'm just running an OS 21RG. I don't remember the gearing for certain, 14/36 I think, pretty low for a BB.

It just seems like it's doing less work to get the wheels up and acceleration is quick. My other two trucks are BB (savage and mammoth). Having a SB always felt lacking to me for some reason. Even with the 18TM. It was powerful and fast, but it felt like it was working really hard. Like it would do better in a ST or MT2 or something.

Your engineering (I think it qualifies to be called that) never fails to amaze me LOL....Good job on getting it running!

Hold on guys. I just consulted my Gibberish To English Dictionary and I think I have some of it sorted out. I believe it says:
"Don't think about it too much. Go with the Vantage Exhaust. It's a good part." As for the last part, I can only think he may be alluding to acquiring some proper body clips, but his phrasing must be some sort of regional Gibberish that my dictionary doesn't cover.

Got a slew of new photo's. I forgot how bad that pipe was with the 21 RG. It ran ok today though, but my OWB died. So, since I'm waiting for a new OWB and starter shaft, I figured I'd buy what I could to make it a little better. Wheelies were pretty easy and the revo just got tossed around like a rag doll. It was fun. I also found that I can get at the LSN on the RG, but it's just a really bad angle. If I got a longer tuning screwdriver it would make it easier.

I bought the engine bay plate, a new exhaust stinger, some 4-40 piano wire and I installed an HPI ripple pipe. It ran pretty good with the RG when I had my HB Lightning buggy. It was loud, but it really ripped. The pipe I had up above was a pipe that came with a XTM 21 conversion kit for a maxx. I never cared for it and it doesn't do very well with the OS21RG. It really doesn't let it breath.

Well, more of my FrankenRevo Pics:
2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeBodySideLowLowRes.jpg

2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeBodySideLowRes.jpg

2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeBodyTopLowRes.jpg

2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeSideLowLowRes.jpg

2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeSideLowRes.jpg

2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeThrottleLinkage01LowRes.jpg

2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeThrottleLinkage02LowRes.jpg

2006-1228-NEBBHPIPipeTopLowRes.jpg

Enjoy.

BTW, I lost the bid war on the trinity pipe... I'll probably stick with a side pipe anyway. It looks a little goofy, but it keeps the heat away from the shock ends and it keeps the rear ended landings from destroying the header/pipe.

I may try to find a header that doesn't require the "rigging" that I have used. To bad none of my LHS's carry much as far as 21 stuff goes. Most carry revo, maxx or savage stuff. Not a lot of odd-ball things that let you get a look at it.

Last edited:
Is there anything left in the garage???? It appears you have lashed up just about everthing but the kitchen sink...;)

JK... man I LOVE the make something work approach....always creates something better.....after a few tries and lots of glue , c-clamps , bolts ,duct tape and what ever the wife will let you tear apart to try and solve the problem.

Mod on my friend, I think it is cool.

TalonOne Out

BTW I bet that copper fitting gets damn hot....?!?!!

A few hose clamps, re-enforced silicone hose and 5/16" steel bar. That's all that isn't "normal".

Besides, a lot of the "after market" stuff we buy isn't all that great. Some of it works, some of it helps, most of it breaks or doesn't do what we expected. At least this way I'm not out much dough and I can bend/tweak or replace whatever doesn't work.

Boy I agree....I have purchased a bunch of stuff that really turned out to be crap.......and I was still stuck with the problem I was trying to solve with it....

Well, it definitly works and can take some abuse. I was out yesterday and today with it and I was pretty hard on it. Wheelies when I want, plenty of power to grunt it's way through about anything. Sounds good too. I did some decent jumping today and I think I'm going to have to try and thicken up the oil in the shocks and find some stiffer springs. I forgot how much it bottomed out as I haven't driven it for a month or so, but with the BB in there, it bottoms out pretty hard.

I think I'm running 40 weight with silver springs and P2 rockers all around. Anyone have any suggestions to stiffen it up more without destroying the shocks every time out?

that Leaner engine mount from NE sure looks good, but that exhaust is another thing all together. :bow: I am getting a NE BB mount, but it is the one that leans over alot less...I hope the LSN is easier to access with that kit. I am putting in a Werks .21 B7 engine. Going to use a Trinity pipe/manifold to start and hope that a rear wing kit will help the exhaust stay together on the rough landings. I haven't given the clutch settup any thought, I am not sure if the stock traxxas flywheel is compatable with a bump starter, if it is I think a MIP clutch would be a good choice to hook it up. Good luck with the revo Olds, looks like you are capable of solving any problems encountered!!

I went with my kit because you can use pretty much any engine with it. If/when I ever do wear out my OS 21 RG's (have an extra in a baggy still), I'll look for an engine that has the LSN in the throttle slider of the carb instead of the opposite side of the carb like the OS. I don't think many engines have the LSN like the OS does.

The only weakness of the OS is the OWB and starter shaft. The shaft wears and the OWB's fall apart. With the shaft being $12 and the OWB being $23, it's a pretty pricey fix for a $130 engine.