Took front differential apart???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reb2973

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well not long after my break in ,I noticed something leaking around my front differential...I ordered the diff. gasket rebuild(think thats what it is).

Well I just took it apart,,and was very messy getting to it,,it was like gorilla-snot everywhere,,then I took the actual diff apart and where it should be full of fluid,,was empty and had a layer of that gorilla snot everywhere inside..

I'm not sure what the diff fluid would look like since it will be here when the parts arrive tomorrow,,but i guess this is how it looks and a gasket rebuild will solve my problem????

Everything including the seals look brand new,,so just want to make sure I'm on the right track here..Its just that I noticed it says to put lithium grease on the ring gear and it looks like thats what my diff was layered with..??..

Just making sure I'm not missing something and making sure I get it right the first time,,thanks for any advice and Merry Christmas!!

Typically, diff fluid is clear, but it will look like "gorilla snot" after it has been run through. You do want to use grease on the ring gear, but just a light coat.

As for rebuilding it, I doubt the gaskets have worn out this soon, but that doesn't mean they haven't been torn a little. My suggestion is go ahead and put new gaskets in and then add some fresh diff fluid. Fill your diff cup to just over the spider gears and when you attach the ring gear back on, tighten the screw in a star formation and make sure they are good and tight.

My Revo was seeping diff fluid as well and it turned out the screws were a bit loose. Just have to be careful and not strip the screw holes because they are plastic. If you don't feel a screw seating tight, take the screw out and put some CA in the screw hole, then put the screw back in.

Good luck!

Ok thanks,

Is this what one would see with a leaking differential after you take it apart?? I mean its obvious its not full of fluid,,but I was almost thinking what I saw to be a leak was maybe just the lithium grease slinging off the ring gear and runnin down the drive shaft..

Ill add to monkeys advice...Get some brake clean and clean "ALL" the old fluid out.Be for you put the new diff oil in.

Ok thanks,

Is this what one would see with a leaking differential after you take it apart?? I mean its obvious its not full of fluid,,but I was almost thinking what I saw to be a leak was maybe just the lithium grease slinging off the ring gear and runnin down the drive shaft..

Could be, but typically when the grease flings off it will "glob" up, not run down the shaft. Chances are the ring gear was just a bit loose. It doesn't take a lot to allow the fluid to leak, but don't worry too much about it either. When you get the new gaskets, just seal it up as best you can and know you will lose a bit of fluid in the process of running it. Not enough to warrant a diff breakdown after every run, but if you're just bashing, maybe twice a season.

Ill add to monkeys advice...Get some brake clean and clean "ALL" the old fluid out.Be for you put the new diff oil in.

Ah, yes, excellent point, Dog! Yeah, clean that thing out with brake cleaner real good before you rebuild it! Thanks for catching that, Zandor!

ok thanks guys,,

I will get some break cleaner tomorrow and do that,,now its just waitin on the UPS man tomorrow to get me back in shape.

I aslo went ahead and put the rear shock springs up front(green) and put silvers on the rear,,wanted a slightly stiffer ride without a drastic change on how it handles..it squats soo bad on take off and nose dives when I brake,,hope this will help.

Thanks again!!

well guys,,I was wrong,,after looking at the main gasket for the diff,,it looks like from factory(since its brand new) they missed the screw hole in the gasket for the ring gear and made another half of a screw hole right next to it,,which I assume would be causing my leak..

Last edited:
Very well possible that is the case with your gasket. Replace it as they are rather inexpensive. A tip for you and all would be to use either Mugen Super Grease on the outdrives or if you have a motorcycle shop near by, get Bel Rae water proof grease to put on the outdrives, it helps seal them

Back