Differential leaking??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reb2973

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok guys this is my new revo 2.5r,,I was just doing an inspection over all on my truck and noticed what would appear to be oil,,around the top of the right front driveshaft going into the front bulkhead(i think thats the part) and down to the right front wheel.

I hope I explained this right,,I guess the differential is in the bulkhead... and leaking??

would anyone know what I need to fix/buy before I tear it apart?

There's a dif rebuild kit out there, which comes with the gaskets and o-rings you will need. Also you will need dif oil, stock is 30,000 but you tune with dif oil so you can run 10,000 or 50,000 too. I think traxxas sells the three together in a package. First time you pull the dif it will seem like it takes forever, after that it's a piece of cake. One important note is that you make sure you put the dif back in properly, the case is marked "up" with an arrow.

Just FYI. I discovered that the diff gaskets for the Jato work on the Revo diffs and are cheaper, for whatever reason. Usually that's the culprit, so if you cannot find Revo diff gaskets, you can use the Jato gaskets.

Just FYI. I discovered that the diff gaskets for the Jato work on the Revo diffs and are cheaper, for whatever reason. Usually that's the culprit, so if you cannot find Revo diff gaskets, you can use the Jato gaskets.

Great tip there Bro. Will keep this in mind on my rebuild!!Thanks!!!:goodpost:

Ok thanks guys,,I will see if I can get that stuff tomorrow.

Sometimes when the gaskets and seals get old they dry up and shrink a little. If you get some green slime (Leak sealent for tires) and let the old seals soak in it they will reswell and seal much better. It is only a temporary fix but it will extend the life of them.

well my LHS did not have anything for me,,so I had to order from towers,,should be here friday but if not,,would it still be ok to keep trying to tune my engine and not running it to hard before fixing the leaking differential? or could I really mess something up?

Just wait until you get your rebuild kit and take care of the dif. Blowing another $30+ in gears won't be much fun. Out of the box they don't have much of anything in them anyway, so if it was leaking how you described you probably just have a thin layer of black scum inside.

Back