Spur Gear Clutch Bell combo??????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonOne

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have recently been playing with different spur gears and clutch bells to find the right combo for me.

I wiil certainly show my ignorance here as I have not a clue about how to choose the right combo. Can one of you gurus point me in the right direction??

My latest efforts have spun two spur gears right down to the end of the teeth.

My last go around was 36 tooth spur and 16 tooth clutch bell.
HELP :surrender

You should be able to use any combo as long as you can get them to properly mesh. Sometimes if you go to small or large on both at the same time you dont have enough adjustment in the motor mounts to mesh them properly.

And proper mesh feels like???? Looks like???

My current method is to use the mount to mesh them so they both spin freely without completly touching the bottom end or inside of the gears. Make sense?

Am I leaving it too loose you think???

Hey talon,
What I do is hold the spur and the cb and move em back and forth so there just a smidge. (i mean a smidge) of play. And if you dont like that what I do is roll back and fourth and get it just to the point where it doesn't make that draging sound. Hope that helps
RR21

Here's how you set gear mesh properly.
Take a piece of paper, standard copy paper or 20Lb will do just fine. Tear it into a strip wide enough to fit in between the gears, with your engine mount loose, push the CB and Spur together with the engine and hold it there while tightening down the mount bolts. Another thing to remember with the Revo is that you have the little star washers inbetween the mounts. They are a real bitch to put in but you'll blow through spurs without them. I ran 16/36 for a while with much success. Sounds as though you just need to set the mesh right and you'll be cooking with hot grease!

I have used a sheet of paper between the two gears then tighten everything up and remove the paper. A single sheet of plastic from a parts bag will do as well.

Once you get the "Feel" for it, you wont need any helpers, its just second nature.

Thanks guys.....I will rip up some paper and get some practice. Hmm Jet I will look into the washers...I will bet you I have left them out....in a rush to asseble the truck.....that would be about par for my course.

TalonOne

Out

Back