Few questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racing revo #21

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First-Is the forward only conversion considered a center diff? I see this alot FOC/Center diff.

Second-Is it nescessary buying the Quick turn if you got the rear brake kit?

Third and final-Do you know what a good oz. of servo needed for the steering servo? I want a fast one for racing. Is it possible to get it as fast as a good buggy?

First = No, two completely different things

Second = No, if you have a QT Shaft, then all you have is rear brakes, it takes away front braking. The Revo center dif takes away rear braking

Third = How much do you want to spend? Regardless for steering you will need something of at least 140 in/oz @ 6.0V Anything less and you'll overwork the servo and / or it won't have enough umph. If you asking about servo speed for the Revo compared to a buggy than yes, they all use the same size servos, if your talking about making your Revo as fast as a good buggy, no it will never happen.

I just bought this one for my mammoth: HS 985MG

I have been running the 645MG for a long time in all my trucks. It's quite a bit cheaper, but I've found that they don't last me that long. The one I have in my savage has lasted the longest. It's probably been in it for 4 gallons worth and still works fine. I have it for steering and throttle/brake in my savage. I have it in my revo as well as a single servo steering setup.

It's not quite strong enough, but it gets the job done.

The 985MG is faster and stronger than the 645. I didn't realize how much until I installed it in my mammoth. I haven't driven it yet, but it really snaps the tires back and forth. Also, it has o-rings all over that seal the case and under the servo horn. I didn't know that until I got it and tore it apart to seal everything up with RTV like I normally do. So, I just put it back together and didn't use any sealant.

I probably won't know how good it is though on the ground until next spring. Unless it stays warm out. The engine in the mammoth is almost new and I don't want to risk damaging it in the cooler temps.

Regardless, it's noticeably faster and stronger on the bench than the 645MG I had in it.

Thank's

Second = No, if you have a QT Shaft, then all you have is rear brakes, it takes away front braking. The Revo center dif takes away rear braking

Will th rear brake make it any lighter?

The rear brake kit won't reduce your weight as it adds extra parts.

So your getting the good and the bad out of the deal huh

Hmmm are you sure?????

jetmechG550 said:
The Revo center dif takes away rear braking

Are you sure about that???...actually the rear brakes is a reccomended add on if you get the center diff.....

Am I crazy??? Now I hate my rear brakes and have since removed them as I act seem to keep them adjusted properly...and or the screws keep coming loose.

Please correct me if I am eworng....wiont be the forst time.

TalonOne out!!

Yes, it says so in the constructions. If you install the center dif alone, the stock braking configuration will become front brake only.

Ah ...gotcha.

I installed them together.......and then ripped out the rears....cuz I suck at set ups and have tendency to get impatient. ;)

Fronts do me just fine....but if I ever want ot try the quickturn I will need to get those rears back in. Right?

Talon

Actually, depending on the weight of the fluid in your center diff, front brakes only are still transferring some force to the rear wheels. The thicker the oil, the more that gets transferred.

Granted, the rear tires won't lock up like it would if there were actual brakes on the rear side of the center diff, but it will slow them down a bit when the front brakes are engaged.

TalonOne said:
Fronts do me just fine....but if I ever want ot try the quickturn I will need to get those rears back in. Right?

Talon
That would be a true statement

QT is the way to go, IMO.

I have one on order with my wife fro Christmas...we will see if she comes thru....could get socks again.

;)

Talon

Center Diff/Rear Brake

After reading the instructions for the Center Diff conversion on my Revo 3.3, I learned that if you install the center diff it is a forward only conversion as well.

Back