Torn Tire Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonOne

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok today while ungluing some tires from thier rims......using the boiling method. I tor a 3/4 inch slice in the last one as I got in a hurry.

It did not slice a v in it, just a gash up the side.So the inner rugger rim is still itact. I had a mess of glue on there....way too much(first tires I ever glued)

Can I CA this back to life? Dont want to make a real mess....but I would still like to use this tire in the future. So short of buying a new set......got any suggestions?????

TalonOne

CA should work. I had a sidewall tear repaired with some 30 sec. CA and it has held up fine.

Don't think CA will hold it.
Maybe try a patch for a tube tire on the inside?

My bad SD. We were posting at the same time. I never would have thought CA would have did it.

Me neither digger. But so far so good. I guess it might depend on how bad the tire is torn to see if it is repairable. Mine was a V shape tear.

IMG_1295.jpg

I dig up a pic later.......SMaxxin ,ya know I just grabbed some of that gorilla glue the other day....one of those add some more stuff to your cart displays.

I may try that. Its a wierd tear...it might need something on the inside to keep it from slicing open under torque or teaering the last bit of rubber on the edge away making it an open slice.

I suppose I need to be careful not to add too much wieght or I will have a balance problem?

Anyway as always thanks for the quick responses....this like a live attendant google answer machine.. ;)

TalonOne

sweetdiesel said:
Me neither digger. But so far so good. I guess it might depend on how bad the tire is torn to see if it is repairable. Mine was a V shape tear.

IMG_1295.jpg

That looks like a brand ...or one of those make up scars...;) A badge of bashing honor.....I digress.

CA is amazing stuff.......I have some 15 to 20 sec stuff.

Wonder if I could lightly seal the outside ....and then gorilla the inside for strength.????

TalonOne.....too much time on my hands.

Last edited:
You should be fine, people will splice tires alot and use CA tire glue to put them back together.

Here is the pic

I will use some CA to start and go from there..thanks all

TalonOne

Attachments

• tear.jpg
    tear.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 77
Y know I thought of that too......seems a bit messy....I am gonna give the CA and then I resort to the gorilla and an old inner tube....these tires were not cheap...

TalonOne

CA should work fine. Shoo goo doesn't bond well enough I don't think. I tried it in the past and it came off the rubber pretty easy.

I've torn a couple tires in the past year. One was a brand new tire that I sliced when opening the package. The other was a tire that's on my revo, but a maxx sized tire. The sliced one has held up for many many runs. I actually just installed the set on my center diff mammoth with an axial 28 under the hood. 2 quarts of rip roaring bashing and the tires are fine. About a quart of which in a concrete skate park.

As for the one on the revo, it's holding up fine as well even with an OS 18 punishing it.

Just take your time, clean it with DA first and bond it where it tore, not just a coating on the outside or inside, but where the pieces of rubber meet. I did that and put a protective coat the next day on both of my torn tires (both in the sidewalls similar to yours) and they are fine.

Old ...thanks for stopping by....I will follow your lead.

That AMmoth sounds like fun...I have yet to surf thru the pics od all of the rigs.....someday.

Working on a big block myself.....these tires will go on that rig.

Using a revo 3.3 chassis and well we will see what come out of the workshop.;)

Talon

It's fun, but it has a niche... and that's not anywhere I have to drive it.

Good luck with your tires. I know my gut hurt when I sliced the one tire while it was still in the package... Man was I ticked!

Thanks....man I wish I could spell.......perhaps I should go lighter on the libations while posting...:beer:

Talon out

Oh no...i\I was just reading my own post ....thinking ....man I wish I could spell.......cuz I suck...from the post above.

"That AMmoth sounds like fun...I have yet to surf thru the pics od all of the rigs.....someday"

dont mind me.....just random ramblings mostly..

Talon

Back