Big Block Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonOne

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
:whhooo:

Ok I am thinking of grabbing a rolling chassis from ebay and a Peak Diablo .28 and the evolution big block kit and building a speed deamon.

Hints?
Warnings?
Pics of similiar projects?
Reccomendations of other combos......you get the idea.

Lets build a Big Block men!!!

TalonOne :n00bie:

I am not saying that you can't do it but... the drive train can't handle it... My savage that comes stock with a .25 could barely handle the power of the .28 .

You can do this I would recommend you up grading to dogbones or cvds and Some people might even recommend upgrading the center gear box with the diffs.

Aint no fun if you dont break somthin..

dougc said:
I am not saying that you can't do it but... the drive train can't handle it... My savage that comes stock with a .25 could barely handle the power of the .28 .

You can do this I would recommend you up grading to dogbones or cvds and Some people might even recommend upgrading the center gear box with the diffs.

Ahhh you may have a point.

I recently purchased a picco .26 max and I am thinking I will start with a chassis and build it up from scratch.

That way I can "harden" everything as I go.

I beat my current revo pretty good...so I have had the... if you add that your gonna have to add this game going for awhile.

The trick will be to find all the parts for cheap.....cuz I am gonna break em anyway..

:redbuggy: TalonOne out

I say DO IT!

And Welcome to the dark side....Gold members rule=devil

when i put my wasp28 in it striped both diffs & twisted the 2 driveshafts....had to upgrade to a 4gear diffs & titanium shafts.....the darn thing still pulls wheelies like mad in all 3 gears even with the slipper loose set

Thought it was time....

ZANDOR said:
I say DO IT!

And Welcome to the dark side....Gold members rule=devil

Yes I thought it was time to step and support you guys....cuz you have been helping me out.

I am going to build this beast....it sounds like I will start with the good stuff first.....so that means bald chassis.

Off to pick one up form the LHS.

Anybody have an opinion on the carbon fiber stuff(Vantage or the new guy)?

I would go that way but it always seems brittle when I have it in my hands.

Talon Out

savagewild said:
when i put my wasp28 in it striped both diffs & twisted the 2 driveshafts....had to upgrade to a 4gear diffs & titanium shafts.....the darn thing still pulls wheelies like mad in all 3 gears even with the slipper loose set

I had very similiar experience wit h a Picco .21 I put in as a trial....

I have since gone bck to my 3.3 TRX as I build the next one AROUND tho engine.....instead of doing it the other way around.

We will see if my bank account cvan keep pace with my ambitions....:contract:

TalonOne

ok the pieces are ariving!!!!!

Well I have so far for the project.:dance:
4 crime fighter tires on 23mm rims from Savagefan04
Picco .26 max drop in with aluminium mount

this Rolling cahssis I got from Ebay includes a tuned pipe of some sort.

Race Winning Traxxas Revo 3.3 Pic below

Auction description:
"Up for auction here is a dialed in and tricked out Traxxas Revo 3.3. This truck finished top 10 in the 2005 RC Pro Series Monster Truck class and was the winning truck for the 2006 NorCal RC Pro Series Monster Truck class - This truck has what it takes to WIN big! No expense was ever spared for this truck and it was maintained immaculately. No Tamiya TNX, Traxxas T-Maxx or Losi LST2 ever stood a chance against this truck. This truck literally has only 35 minutes of runtime on the arms, knuckles, driveshafts, hingepins and skidplates - it went through a full rebuild before it's last race and is dialed in and ready to go!"

Hopups installed on the truck:

Traxxas - GTR Shock Kit, Aluminum Pushrods, Center Differential Kit, Rear Brake Kit
Lunsford - Titanium front steering rods and HD titanium rear toe links
Tekno RC - Rear Wing Mount
3 Racing - 38 tooth delrin spur gear
Ballistic Batteries - 2700 mah NiMh receiver battery pack (35 mins of total runtime on the pack,it's literally be charged only once!)
Dace Manufacturing - 23mm Wheel Hub Adapters
New Era Models - Billet aluminum engine mount

I also snapped up a ton of spare stock and race parts in the deal.

I will post pics as the lot is in one place and then i will show the progress of the build and break in/ testing process.

Stand by to Stand by....;)

TalonOne :D

Attachments

• revo3.jpg
    revo3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Waiting for parts...

Me neither...all of the parts have shipped from various parts of the country.Should be able to post the beggining of the project pics next week when I have it all here and laid out.

Getting excited.Stand by!!!!

Talon

I can't wait, seeing other people's ideas inspire me :).

The Eagle Has landed

:celebrate2:
The boxes all showed up today...

So since a pic says it better I will load up some. The long and short of it is by the time this is done I should have three trucks: One to bash , One to race and one to mod and show off a bit.

So here are the pics:

They are of the whole lot...(took two pics)

The new race revo and some diff oil I got thrown in with it 300k and 500k not a big deal to some but my LHS does not carry it.

My caged Big Block we call "The Wabash Cannonball" (well not technically a big block, but a picco .26 in a caged revo none the less)

And the new F650 lid I butchered with a bad paint job.

Enjoy!

TalonOne

Attachments

• tableright.jpg
    tableright.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 96
  • tableleft.jpg
    tableleft.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 97
  • f650.jpg
    f650.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 111
  • diff-oil.jpg
    diff-oil.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 81
  • caged.jpg
    caged.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 103
I am bringing this one as well to life again. I am going to do the Big Block conversion and either drop in Picco 27 or my trusty picco 26. Seen it done just never got around to dong it. Opinions ? Experience?

Have to say that on an earilier post someone mentioned that they stripped gears on the Savvy with a Wasp 28. I had a Savage with all the mods and it handled a STS28 and 30 just fine.

Cool... I have since taken my .26 out of the caged REVO....I am rebuilding it with a OS 18TM..

I have4 another chassis that the Picco .26 wil go into.....still collecting parts for that one...

Talon

Back