Diff Question.......

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonOne

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok I am sure this has been asked in here somewhere....but since each set up is different I thought I would ask it again.

What diff fluids do I need to change to .....if any??

I run a .21 picco with a hiflo air filter and pipe, I also have the center diff kit installed.......so I am pushing some HP and I seem to ballon out the front tires as they struggle to find ground and or stay on the ground???

Local hobby shop guys all had a different take on it....some say leave em alone....some say this or that combo of weights? I am confused(it does not take much)

Any advice?

TalonOne :redbuggy:

if your unloading in the front you need thicker in the center.. lets start with what you have to begin with and go from there.....

Hmmm...ok I have stock whatever comes in the REVO.......not sure of the wieght.....seems light..

TalonOne

TalonOne, it's going to be somewhat of a trial-and-error process (hate to say it) but Beason's right (for once!) I'm not quite sure what comes in the center diff because I don't run one, but I'm guessing it's in the 50K range. You might try 100K in the center to start with, see what that does.

You might also peruse this thread as well that vbgagnon started: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41386

Good thread on different set-ups and after I went with VB's, my Revo drives so much nicer. May want to think about installing a QuickTurn as well, but I'm not sure how that will affect the center diff action. Jetmech, VB or Olds97 may know more about that.

If you have a center dif, go with 300K or 500K if you can find it. If you have center dif don't do the quick turn, it's kind of the same thing. If you do go with both you will definitely need the rear brake kit, or you won't have any braking. stock is 30K front and rear. Based on what the truck is doing will either have you go up or down from there.

Monkey Wrench said:
Jetmech, VB or Olds97 may know more about that.

I don't have a center diff or a quick turn so I'm not sure how I could help?

Or is there a different Olds on the boards?

I have a revo with a 18TM, stock diffs, FOC in the trans, but I am running an 1/8 scale clutch/bell/3-shoe flywheel setup.

Ok thanks men. I will head over to Read The Fine Material already available.

I ran it again tonight and it really seems the front end is all over the place...and the back end is wagging its tail right behind......just need a bit more control....or a better driver..;)

TalonOne out........

What's your shock setup? Sounds more like a problem there unless it's a traction problem.

The QuickTurn looks like an innovative item.....Gotta hunt down my rear brakes I guess.....got pissed and pulled em out last week.

I took a peek at the setups thread and gleaned some hints. I will let you guys know what works out best for my conditions....which are very rough...all rock and decmposed granite....mixed with a long gravel road to wind it up on.

Later,
Talon

olds97_lss said:
I don't have a center diff or a quick turn so I'm not sure how I could help?

Or is there a different Olds on the boards?

I have a revo with a 18TM, stock diffs, FOC in the trans, but I am running an 1/8 scale clutch/bell/3-shoe flywheel setup.

Yes, just referring to general Revo experience and different diff oil types. You da man on a lot of that stuff, man! Just giving props where deserved!

JetMech shocks are Intergy piggy backs (mixed reviews)

I have Traxxs blue springs in the back and the Integy Blue ones in the front.

I have the fronts dialed down just a bit and the backs about half way.

They are loaded with Losi 100 WT.

I like a bit og=f a tiff ride.....but perhaps I have over done it.??

TalonONe

Yeah pretty stiff. Not sure on the Integy spring rate, stick with the traxxas springs. Shock length should measure out somewhere around 90mm give or take. I ran between 40 and 50 wt with the lighter in the rear.

Running too stiff will make it squirrelly on most surfaces. So will having the wrong tires. A combination of both will just about make it impossible to drive. Especially running a mid-block engine with a lot of power.

For big chunks of gravel/rock, a more pointed/open tread on the tires would help you. Something like pro-lines mulchers would work well. The stock tires or chevron tires don't hook up well on much. They do ok in grass, but they don't work very well on loose gravel. I've seen the traxxas chevron next to the mulchers in a refinery I bash at that has a pretty loose and large rock bits surface. The chevrons and stock revo tires never get good traction and your always fighting to stay in a straight line. The mulchers tend to dig in and get a better bite which in turn gives you better control. The downside of mulchers is that you can't run them on concrete/blacktop at all or you will tear them down pretty quick. Also, mulchers on grass make it prone for roll overs.

Running a lighter oil like 40 weight in the shocks will also help on loose surfaces. With a heavier oil/spring combo, it makes it good for big air, but bad for general driving. On loose stuff, the heavier setup makes it skip across the top of everything instead of settle in and get some bite.

Thanks....

olds97_lss said:
Running too stiff will make it squirrelly on most surfaces. So will having the wrong tires. A combination of both will just about make it impossible to drive. Especially running a mid-block engine with a lot of power.

For big chunks of gravel/rock, a more pointed/open tread on the tires would help you. Something like pro-lines mulchers would work well. The stock tires or chevron tires don't hook up well on much. They do ok in grass, but they don't work very well on loose gravel. I've seen the traxxas chevron next to the mulchers in a refinery I bash at that has a pretty loose and large rock bits surface. The chevrons and stock revo tires never get good traction and your always fighting to stay in a straight line. The mulchers tend to dig in and get a better bite which in turn gives you better control. The downside of mulchers is that you can't run them on concrete/blacktop at all or you will tear them down pretty quick. Also, mulchers on grass make it prone for roll overs.

Running a lighter oil like 40 weight in the shocks will also help on loose surfaces. With a heavier oil/spring combo, it makes it good for big air, but bad for general driving. On loose stuff, the heavier setup makes it skip across the top of everything instead of settle in and get some bite.

Ah I see now :8-0: said the blind dumbass.......;)

I am off the redo my shock set up all the way around...thanks fro clearing my head ..

TalonOne

Back