Tuning and Tweaking.......or perhaps I shouldn't?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonOne

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok First of all, I am new here and new to the sport/hobby.

I have already learned allot from you guys and I want to contribute as soon as I get a handle on what I am doing myself.

I have already made the mistake of buying way too much bling and extras I really did not need. So please refrain from giving me that tune ....I can already hear the sermon. :preachin:

So for the set up I have:
Revo 3.3 with the following upgrades.
3.3 motor is at Traxxas (threw a rod on the second gallon of nitro.)
Picco .21 Max is the current power plant.
Roll Cage
RPM Knuckles
proline 40 MOABS (I think) with beadlock rims (They were a gift)
Dragon Air Filter
Robinson gears
Integy Shocks
Rd Logics Arms
JR Throttle servo waiting for the steering ones to die then HITEC???? Single servo??

Anyway you get the idea if I saw it, and it looked cool, I got it.

Pent up need for speed from my youth I guess.

Big mistake in any event........one thing at a time would have been better.

I now have all of the stuff lashed up the best I know how and here is the real issue.

I can get it to rip a great hi speed pass but it either dies on the turn around or the slipper slips and the engine winds out.?!?!

I get the slipper back into adjust sort of and the beast will not sit still.....takes off on start....loosen it a bit and it runs and then slips out again....

I have just finished breakin on the moter and I am starting to do the low end...but I cannot keep it up enough to make good adjustments.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

TalonOne :buggy1:

Get a 5mm nut and replace the slipper nut. Set it without tightening it all the way down since that will wear out the locking feature of the nut. I had a similar issue and that was all it took. Also make sure the wahers are thereunder the nut. It also sounds like you are a little lean on the top richen it up about 1-2 hours to start

One other piece of advice. Keep those stocker shocks handy. I'm guessing you have the Integy piggybacks on there, correct? If that is the case, they will break after a relatively small jump or even the slightest off-balance landing and when that happens, my suggestion would be to put the stockers back on there.

Just my opinion, though. It has happened to me.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

JETMECH:
I will hunt down the 5mm nut.....I thought the one on there was locking....but it sure slips out. Anyway good advice.

I am going to set the engine back to the factory needle settings and start over....I have tendency to over adjust and I have not grasped the concept of hour only adjustments.....so I drive myself nuts when tuning.....but you are probably right a bit lean. I get a great smoke trail and lots of punch....but it bogs or dies on deceliration and or corners.....anyway back to baseline for me.

Monkey:

Yea I was dissapointed to actually see the mounts and lash up system they came up with....pretty weak....one of the shocks already bounced out because the set screw came loose....lock tight fixed that ...but I have my old shocks on standby as I agree with you these WILL break it is just a matter of when .

Ok well I will get a chance to work on and run the truck this evening so I will report in with my findings....I will see if I can muster up a pic or two.

TalonOne

I get the slipper back into adjust sort of and the beast will not sit still.....takes off on start....loosen it a bit and it runs and then slips out again....
reading this it seems to me you have been adjusting the slipper when u should have been adjusting the idle/throttle trim and thus have worn the lock on the nut so it loosens off

get a new nut then set it to in all the way and back out 1/4 or whatever it is for the revo another member may be able to be more specific on this

adjust the throttle trim down on your radio until it stops rolling (once you have got it tuned right)

Ahhhh......I really like the N-Tune Dial idea.

Thanks for the tip robman....I will order one straight away. :w00t:

supercharged you were right as well(read on)

I have been to the LHS today and the guru there said it sounded like my clutch was worn or out of the spring.

He was right I took it all apart this evening and sure enough the clutch pieces were out of the spring and torn up bad.

So I grabbed one of those all aluminium three shoe set ups per his suggestion and installed that.

I am now in the process of cleaning and reassemling the rig hopefully for test run tomorrow night.(BTW I hate the short days...no tuime to play)

Anyway I have set the dials to factory settings and wuill start fom there on my next day out in the dirt.

Thank you all for your input here. I will let you know what happens....

Regadrs,
TalonOne

Ok things are better.........for now.

WEll I managed to get the whole thing back together nad tweaked...

I had some really fast .......and I mean this thing flies .....runs this evening!!

And then ...MONKEY you called it .....my front shock fell apart......piece of:

#(**%$#$%#@%{__+@#($+U%
+$#))^)$#^)!^)!^))^U+_)%$^)_

Anway I will replace with the stock ones so they match and stay away from the fancy stuff in the future.

Thanks for looking in ....I will close this one now unless anybody has questions or comments..

TalonOne

By all means, I was not trying to hex you! That sucks! I'd like to say Integy has tremendous customer service and that they will gladly take care of you...but the reality is they are a bunch of arrogant jerks who could care less and take great pains to prove their ignorance.

Run a search on "Integy" one time here and see what you get.

Haven't had an issue with my stockers and, if you want, I may have enough pieces of my old Integy shocks to make one. You can have 'em, if you want!

Nah got mine in a bag too....back to the stockers.......doing a major rebuild just now after a 50 plus mile and hour endo .....with 15 or so flips in there....even rattled my cage off its brckets....

Oh the joy......would not do it if I could not crash.......;)

TalonOne Out.

Back