Tranny gone...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00nst0ne69

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
After high centering on a mound of dirt I shifted into reverse and tried to back out. Unfortunately the optidrive didn't do it's job and let the truck shift into reverse while still slightly under power. After the grinding noise the engine started running away. I powered down knowing that I had just lost a tranny.

Now it is time to upgrade...I am going to rebuild with the FOC kit and the rear brake. Now I am wondering about close or wide ratio gearing or the standard gearing. What is better for what?

Close ratio for track racing on a consistant surface wide ratio for bashing when you want a lower first gear for crawling and a higher gear to impress the neighbors as you jump thier house?

Out of the box the revo comes with standard gearing. The close ratio will give you slightly more acceleration (rock crawling) the wide will give you more top end (jumping your neighbors house)

Just FYI, you'll have to add the center diff to do the rear brake.

I had close ratio in mine then switched back to standard. The close ratio gave it a ton of low end, but it really robbed the top end to do it.

Thanks for the info folks.

I found out about the center dif when I inquired at my LHS. No problem as it takes the place of the FOC or includes it anyway.
As for the gearing I think I may just leave the standard ratio however, I do like the idea of the close ratio with some taller gearing. just looking for that punch coming out of a hair pin into a double or table top.

Back