Transmission Problem?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComingApart

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok, I was bashing around with my Revo 3.3 and after a fairly low speed collision with a tree (it jumped out in front of me, I swear!!) The Revo gets no drive. I can spin a tire and the others turn so I assume the diffs are ok. If i place it on the ground a try to roll it, it will only roll a bit forward or backwards then it's like the wheels lockup.
I'm assuming this means the tranny is busted? Or should I check something else?
Do you just replace the tranny as a unit, or can I replace individual parts?
Thanks for any help.

Sounds like you may have roached the gears inside the tranny. The transmission is easy enough to remove (4 screws underneath, the threaded pins that hold the front and rear drive shafts 1 each, and your linkage) then you have about 6 screws around the face of the tranny and it will split in two, pay attention to the stack so you can put it back together. May want to pick up the Forward Only Conversion (FOC) and ditch the weak reverse gears anyway since you'll be in there.

If you plan to race definitely remove the reverse. Now replace some or replace all? It depends if you want to have a back up tranny or one with reverse. I like to keep a tranny spare to make sure I can still run if I have a problem. If your budget is low than replace only what you need. I know you can EBAY a new tranny and get one fairly cheap.

Inspect your tranny and let us know.

Probably hosed a gear in the trans, just pull it out and check it out. Definitely replace parts not the whole tranny.

The tranny gears with Reverse are weaker, that's why I suggested doing FOC.

Alright, I pulled the tranny apart (I thought it would be more complicated than it was).
You guys nailed it, it was the reverse output gear, it had stripped a few teeth.
I want to keep reverse, so I'll just order the gearset from Tower Hobbies (reccomend any other places?).
I am tempted to pick up an extra tranny off of Ebay or something to do a FOC on to keep as a spare or if i wanna race.
Thanks for the help guys.

Forum sponsor RushRC.com or if he can't hook you up Amainhobbies.com or Nitrohouse.com

This happened to me! Except I didn't hit a tree I don't think. Anyway, it cost me about 30 dollars to replace 4 gears. The forward only comes with almost every gear I broke for 13$ (Except for speed gear). The thing that happened to me was that my spur gear was too tight and didn't slip.

Now that I loosened it, hasen't broken again, although second gear sound really strange when I hit it.

So if you really want to mess around with your car, get the forward only.

Back