spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceracer21

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hey guys, guess what? I stripped a spur gear. are they hard to change:loser:

Not at all. I've never had to change any of mine, but I think all you have to do is pull the engine, then three screws takes the gear off. Pretty easy.

ok, I got faith in ya

The manual does a very good job of walking you through the process. Just don't get suckered into buying a steel gear or anything. A stripped spur is usually a result of the mesh getting out of whack, not because the gear is weak. You want a weak point in the drivetrain to prevent other components from damage, and the spur is the cheapest and easiest to repair, in my opinion.

I'm guessing this was a result of the issue you posted about giving the truck gas and no movement? Make sure your adjusted properly when you put the new one on. Use the paper test for the mesh. You can actually change a spur without pulling the motor, but unless you've done it a few times, it can be a little tedious. And by all means listen to Monkey man and don't get suckered in to one of those $45 steel spur/clutchbell sets!

I find it easier to pull the tranny to change it, four screws and the tranny is out. You don't have to remove the nut thats used for adjusting the slipper, just the three small screws and the spur is off. That way if your slipper is set right you won't have to reset it.

but it also revs up when i dont even pull the throtle

and what is the mesh

Mesh=how the spur gear meets the teeth on the clutchbell.

If you have not taken the time to read over the manual and watch the DVD, you need to stop everything and take the time to do so. It appears you are new to the hobby, so welcome! Traxxas does a very good job of explaining the different components and how they work with each other, etc.

You're excited to get going in the hobby, that's awesome, but until you read the manual and view the DVD, you will do nothing but experience frustration and disappointment. Do yourself a favor and look these items over before going out there again. You will not regret it.

ok thanks

Back