BRP Shims for rc18t

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I purchased a kit of shims for my rc18t, and I understand where the large diameter ones go (on the output shaft on the diff on the same side as the gear), but where do the smaller ones go? Seems that they are the right size to go behind the gear on the shaft going from the rear to the front diffs. Is this correct? I feel like such a noob.

Without knowing the kit nor the RC, my answer will be yes. The input shaft bearings need to be looked at and shimmed if needed as well as the outputs.

Shimming is a learned art. You dont want to get anything to tight and cause binding nor do you want anything to loose to cause excessive wear. If you have to make a choice, looser is better then tighter.

After you place the shim /s put the part back together including the screws and check the fit. Sometimes when you bolt everything back together the parts flex a bit. Its not unusual for me to check and adjust a diff 3-4-5 times before I'm happy with it.

Welcome to the next level!
IMO, Its worth the extra time and effort.

Well, I got the diffs together, and it looks like the stock AE rc18t shims that is came with are fine. diff feels pretty tight. Only time and running will tell... thanks for the response!

well, on mine I used one BRP shim on each outdrive. I tried the ones on the input shaft but didnt need it. Put one on each output and it should be fine, it made them hold up to my mamba 6800 and 8 cell pack.