New mill

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattshoreson

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Am looking to purchase a new lump for my revo.

Currently have stock 2.5r.
Is it a straight swap with the 3.3? Does it require tinkering, i.e. new clutch bell etc, mounting points etc?

Looking around on the forums and noticed the OS .18TM which appears to be a direct drop in as well as the 3.3

It's nearly double the price though. Is it worth the extra money?
The does the price difference justify the difference between the mills?

ta,
Matt.

mattshoreson said:
Looking around on the forums and noticed the OS .18TM which appears to be a direct drop in as well as the 3.3

It's nearly double the price though. Is it worth the extra money?
The does the price difference justify the difference between the mills?

ta,
Matt.

It could. O.S. Engines have a tendency to hold a tune better than the TRX engines. They're very reliable, and have very few problems. As for the 3.3 I'm not sure of how reliable they are, but I've had quite a few problems with 2.5rs ( and I've had about six or seven of them ).

I personally chose the .18tm over the 3.3. I like the reliability and ease to tune. Also, O.S. engines, in my experience have lasted longer than the traxxas engines.

On the other hand, the 3.3 makes more power than the .18. As a result, it will be noticably faster.

It all depends on what you want to spend really. Traxxas has the ERP for their mills and you'd get a 3.3 for about $135 if you send it in, or maybe a touch more if you do it at an LHS. The .18 would set you back about $220 just about anywhere you buy it.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks for the reply.

It's made my mind up - gonna go for the 3.3
I reckon I must have a decent 2.5r as it's been pretty good to me, tuning and reliability wise.

Think the main factor is the money. It's gonna cost me £90 to swap the lumps round, whereas it would cost approx £200 for the OS.

Here's hoping I get a decent 3.3!

Just break it in correctly and you should be fine.

The 3.3 holds a tune much better then the 2.5r. Very easy to use and very tight engine. You will be impressed.

It takes between 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon to be fully broken in so be patient.

Back