Lipo voltage questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
does anyone know if you can use a 11.1V 3 cell LiPo pack w/ a mamba Comp BL ESC?
I have looked on the site and couldn't find specifics....I was told there might be a way to set the ESC up for higher voltages.....any info would be helpful....
oh I already have the 11.1 pack, just wanted to know if it was not useable for me..
thanks
E

Plaid, 3s is the maximum the mmb25 esc will handle.

Here's the link;'
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba.html

You will more than likely overheat if you use more cells than 3.

MAMBA-25
25 Amp Brushless Sensorless Speed Control for RC Cars/Trucks
1.0 Features of the Mamba- 25
• Extremely Low Resistance (.0022 ohms per phase)
• Up to 25 Amps continuous current, 50 amps surge
• Four to twelve cells, or 2 to 3 Lithium Polymer cells

Last edited:
hey stretch.....I know the cell limit is 3 but can I use the 11.1VDC packs or do they must absolutely be the 7.2VDC ones......that's where I don't see any specs...for the voltages they can "handle".....

I would say it can handle 11.1 volts cause it says you can use 4 to 12 cells so 12* 1.2 = 14.4 . I think it would be safe to use.

Plaid;
I'm confused.
Are you requesting info on lipo or dry cell packs?

it's a lipo pack...from thunder power....someone gave it to me and it's been used once in an electric heli.....it.s 11.1V instead of the standard 7.2 volts...when I try and look up info on whether the mamba can take the higher voltage I find zip zilch nada....when I looked to see if there are 3 cell 7.2VDC packs I see they are made....this leads me to think maybe the 11.1 cells are only for specific types of ESCs.......I just want to find someone who knows (for sure) I can use the higher voltage pack.....I'd hate to cook an almost brand new setup........

doh....I didn't see dougs post.....I didn't see the cell count when I looked before..LOL...I was looking for the voltage rating.......I think doug got me what I needed....good lookin out...thanks guys

lithium polymer batteries come in many several shapes with several diferent connectors. Just replace the connectors.

11.1v is 3s (3 cell) which is the maximum lipo pack your esc is rated for.

I got it now.....The first search I did I swore I saw 3 cell 7.4V packs and that really confused me....I just searched the thunder power site again and see I must have been lit up when I did the first search, because now all I see are 7.4V 2 cell packs.....and then all the Mamba site refered to was cell numbers and not voltages...I was under the impression LiPo packs could be manufactured as whatever voltage they need per cell.......appreciate the help guys...I didn't put 2+2 together till I read doug's post.....I realized 12 cells of Nihm or nicads would easily be over 11.1VDC.......now if I could just figure out how to mount it in my RC18......

Plaidfish,

Which Thunder Power pack is it and which RC?

I have the M18 and the RC18 as you do. Both are 3s lipo powered.

Back