Too Much Push!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Finally made it though a racing day without tearing anything up and actually completing three TQ's and the A-Main (don't get excited, there were only four us in the MT class and I got lapped like a $5.00 whore!). I was just pumped I actually MADE it, so the day was a smashing success in my opinion! Jet, you'd of been proud, man! No fluke breaks, so nailing the marshalling pylons...all good!

Anyhow, the one thing I struggled with all day was the incredible amount of front end push my Revo has. It was to the point of having to break in the corners to bring the front end around. Simply getting off the throttle wasn't enough, I had to break. It was as if the front end was on ice! The other Revos experienced push as well, but not quite to the degree I was (at least that's how I perceived it).

Anyhow, would like to get some ideas on how to dial that push out. Here's what I'm running in it right now, but I'll have it broken down this week for a good cleaning, so let me know:

Proline Maxx sized Bowties (also have Maxx sized Crimefighters and 40-series Bowties). Ran the Maxx BT's.
OS .18TM with Trinity pipe.
Standard gear-ratio 2-speed with FOC.
RPM arms with Integy axle carriers.
P2 rockers and pushrods.
30K weight diff fluid in front, 35K weight diff fluid in back
Performed single-servo steering mod and Slaydon steering mod
First generation 2.5 chassis.
Shock oil is 30K front, 45K rear (I think, but I'm tearing them down and cleaning anyway, so suggest away)

If I'm forgetting any pertinent information, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the assist!

Last edited:
its the 35k in the rear. put 10k and you'l be a happy kid!

stock 2.5r chassis?

what shock oils?

Updated original thread to include shock oil weights and chassis.

Thanks VB. Thought that may be it, but I'm retarded when it comes to suspension set-ups.

Here is my setup...Works awsome!

Front:
30K diff lube
P2 rockers
Bumsteer pivot balls on axle carriers - middle (stock)
Pushrods in middle holes on lower a arms
White shock springs (stock)
#1 shock pistons (stock)
35wt Associated shock oil
Ride height - driveshafts level for smoother tracks, slightly above
level when rough
Caster - either 2 clips front and rear, or 3 clips front, one rear.
Camber - -1 degree
Toe in/out - .5 degrees out per side, sometimes zero to help turn in
Roll center - upper hinge pin in upper holes

Rear:
10K diff lube
P2 rockers
Pivot balls on axle carriers - lower (stock)
Green shock springs (stock)
#2 shock pistons (stock)
35wt Associated shock oil
Ride height - driveshafts level
Camber - -2 degrees
Toe in - 2 degrees per side
Roll center - upper hinge pins in upper holes

yea i agree with them the 35k in back is doing it, remember the thicker the fluid the more "locked" the diff, its like running a solid rear axle.

oh and congrats on the run, did the tires treat you good?

acually up untill about a week ago i had 8
not i have 7
will be back to 8 friday.... and ones a revo!!

30K front and 50K rear for me, but I also run a Quick Turn, there is no pushing with one of those. Shock oils 50 front and 40 rear, arms level front and rear. Don't ask me springs, I fogot what I have and have socks on so I can't even see them. Also I think in the rear I'm running the lower roll center. I'd give you the rest, but I have to get to packing, work trip tomorrow that came up out of nowhere.

I have to agree here.You need to up your front diff and lower your rear..Adjusting your brakes so you can just tap them going into the turn and not lock them up.And hit the gas coming through the turn.Shock oil will be determined by your driving style.And your brake set up.IMO If you brake hard in a turn and your front dives hard.I would use 45 wt. in the front.To keep it from nosing down to hard.Nosing down to hard in a turn will cause you to lose inertia(SP?)..
Thus with a heavy wt. oil will keep you up right and some what leavel..This in turn will help you hold your line...Keep in mind this is just my perception of things.:ponder2:

ZANDOR said:
IIMO If you brake hard in a turn and your front dives hard.I would use 45 wt. in the front.
Shock oil not diff oil, correct?

i use this setup all the time, cause my son seems to love it. he took fouth in the USMT championship.

30k in front diff
tan springs in front 40 wt. arms level
p2 rockers 5318x push rods
10k in rear diff
gold springs in rear 40 wt. arms level
- 1.5 camber all the way around
response tires, gemni rims
rb tm323, rb exhaust
single steering mod with air 358
throttle is hitech 945

MW, the Slayden set up does not state to use the lighter rear diff oil (10) but he does recommend keeping the front weight higher than the rear. I use 15 in the rear diff and 35 up front. I also found keeping the rear arms level to slightly LOWER than level with 40K shock oil and gold springs kept the rear more hooked up for acceleration but allowed me to slide the rear easier for tighter corners. (the rear end lifts to slightly above level in braking, transferring weight to the front and outside) When I first started racing the Revo I had the same issue; i.e., every corner turned into an understeer nightmare.

One thing I also did was add the wing for more rear weight bias, and went to the Proline bowties on the 40 rims withthe 23mm hubs.

Thanks a bunch, fellas. Clearly my diff oil and shock set-ups need the most attention, judging by the responses received. I'll be tearing the rear-end down this evening to clean and replace shock and diff oils along with adjusting the pivot ball set-ups on the axle carriers.

I do have a wing on it, but could've used a sail Sunday!

Hey monkey, since your rebuilding difs I could use a little hand. I just picked up a Jammin CRT and have the difs out and cleaned, just need to put em back together and fill em up for me and the shocks too, since I am leaving for another trip would you do all that and put the truck back together for me so I can race when I come home this weekend? Thanks a ton, look for a package. I would highly suggest anyone else needing difs rebuilt this week, send them to Monkey so he can practice!

Jet, I thought you wanted them done right...:wasted:

jetmechG550 said:
I would highly suggest anyone else needing difs rebuilt this week, send them to Monkey so he can practice!

Great idea, I'm suffering the same problems as MW so while he is fixing his he can do the same to mine, I'll get it packed up....MW make sure you buy enough diff oil :hehe:

Geez monkey,I should send you my savage diff,it need's some loving.

Back