Orange wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Decided to dye the rims orange and remove the wing. The bow ties have excellent traction but I wish I would have gotten the standard maxx size instead of the 40's.

orange4ti.jpg

Pretty cool Looking. I like the Neon yellow i got from Proline. Since having retuned I may remove my wing as well since it is now a wheelie freak.Still has reverse so I am sure I will unlock some power there.

Did ya try to due your rear bumper too?

Yes I did the bumper LOL. I took it off when I put the wing so I just wanted to see what it would look like dyed. I'm going to strip the chrome and paint it black.

I am actually wanting to change the bumpers period. Not to RPM though. Those things are just fugly. I was hoping to give it a truggy style bumper.

I have to say the orange wheels are making me want to buy some dyable ones...LOL

I like the dyed look. It blends in well with the rest of the truck. Curious..how did ya dye them. The process is what I'm after. I may have to do mine on the Mammoth with the colors I got or get new rims.

NvNitro said:
I like the dyed look. It blends in well with the rest of the truck. Curious..how did ya dye them. The process is what I'm after. I may have to do mine on the Mammoth with the colors I got or get new rims.

I used RIT dye, I rather the powder. Find a container big enough to hold the parts you want to dye, I rather them not touch. Add enough watter to cover the parts then heat the water, not boiling but very hot to touch. Then turn the heat/fire off and add the dye. Stir until it is completely dissolved and add parts. The longer you leave them in the deeper the dye will get.

It's easy to dye and I did a set like SMaxxin. Just get some RIT dye, boil some water, add the dye and drop the rims in. Longer they sit, more color they take.

If you have a set of chrome wheels you want to dye, just spray them down with Easy Off, it'll take the chrome right off. Sometimes you have to spray 'em two or three times, but it works! Otherwise, you can buy dyeable rims.

You can find the dye in just about every grocery store. It's usually in the same aisle as laundry detergent.

EDIT: Maxxin beat me to it!

I've never heard of dying rims a colour but i like that idea........can beadlocks be done that way cause if they can I'm gona do it to it........mine was silver but all the silver that came on them is gone & now theyre a white colour.......the rings on my beadlocks are orange.....dye purple ? how long does the dye last ?

Last edited:
speedticket75 said:
I've never heard of dying rims a colour but i like that idea........can beadlocks be done that way cause if they can I'm gona do it to it........mine was silver but all the silver that came on them is gone & now theyre a white colour.......the rings on my beadlocks are orange.....dye purple ?

Yes you can dye them. Make sure all of the silver is off of the wheels before you dye them, see MW's post above on removing chrome/silver.

I did some Hurricanes with the chrome still on, tried to use yellow and they came out very, very PIMP!!!!

this dye, does it come several different colours in a little box ?

Appreciate it Maxxin and MW. Sounds like a fairly simple procedure. And yes I belive it is the stuff in the little boxs, Speedticket. I know I have seen them at the local hardware store.

jetmechG550 said:
I did some Hurricanes with the chrome still on, tried to use yellow and they came out very, very PIMP!!!!

I can vouch for that! These suckers would've looked DOPE on Zandors Lincoln!

i want to do that...and go the burnt orange route.

I'm gona go get some this weekend & do mine......i wana do a purple like colour.......do you know the name of that dye ?

do any wheels work. can i strip the chrome off my revo wheels now and die them.

Yes, use easy off oven cleaner and let it sit on there for a while and then rinse and the chrome should come off relatively easy~