OWB Issues?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVORay

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm not for sure what to think of this since it's the first time for it to happen to me. My Revo EZ start motor just spins freely and doesn't try to enguage the motor in anyway. It's like you simply pluged up an electric motor to a battery and it just spins. Is this a sign of a bad OWB or is something else messed up? I've just replaced the slipper clutch but I never messed with the EZ start crap. The mill also spins the way is usualy does if you spin it by the flywheel and the spur/CG gears spin about the way they should.

Thanks for the help/info
Ray

I would remove the EZ Start Assembly and check the OWB. If you haven;t taken it apart I would see if the OWB is shot. From reading only, the OWB are weak. Spin the OWB on the shaft as it sits and if it pins freely than get a new one. If your engine still fairly new I would check the flywheel to make sure that you have compression. Spin it and see if you get resistance.

I'd also check the exhaust gasket to make sure it's not leaking goop down into the backplate area, thus making it slip. I've had that happen before.

if the one way goes bad, it will lock up, and there will be no moving of any parts. chances are thats whats wrong though. when i had the sleezy start i went through 2 of those suckers. after that i bought a pull start and have been problem free for over a year. cheers.

Mallanaga said:
if the one way goes bad, it will lock up, and there will be no moving of any parts.

Not necessarily. When a one way goes bad it tends to slip.

Yeah, the OWB may just need cleaned. If cleaning it doesn't work, then you may have to replace it. Before ordering a new one, check the shaft that it spins on. If it looks chewed up in any way, replace it when you get a new OWB. Running a new OWB on a chewed up shaft will ruin a OWB in a few tanks worth of running. Not much point in spending $20 on a new bearing to ruin it in 20 minutes.

Or you shelled a gear in the EZ-start.

Wait for Monkey to chime in, he's well versed in the OWB failure. FME, the one way is shot.

Sorry about my late responce...my internet crapped out on me :( Anyways, while the net was down ( like 5 hours :angry: ) I tore the thing a part to see what was going on. I checked every gear in the EZ start along with the OWB. Everything looked fine...so I stuck it back together. The truck starts right up now...for the life of me, I can't figure out what happened:ponder2:

Thanks for the help and sorry to wait your time/space again.

i was going to say that it might be the battery cuz i worked on a friends and he had his battery plugged in wrong and didnt know it

but what prolly happend with you is that there was oil on the shaft which made it slip

You gotta love fixes like that.

Well I do love fixes like that for sure but it also drives you nuts a little lol Thankfully it's not that bad to pull a part and put back together. Now I just have to adjust my new MX3 and I should be good to go.

Thanks again

Did you clean anything while you were taking it apart or putting it back together?Was there an excessive amount of oil in the assembly?

jon2 said:
Did you clean anything while you were taking it apart or putting it back together?Was there an excessive amount of oil in the assembly?

No sir, I just took it a part to make sure nothing was broken. Then I reinstalled it. I wonder if some how I had something installed to tight when I did the slipper clutch...I also had to replace the motor mount. Don't ask me how I broke a mount but I did. But like I said, the spur gear would turn pretty easy with the CB:ponder2:

Thanks

The spur is supposed to turn freely so should the cb. That has nothing to do with your owb problems. Take your owb off and put some 3 in 1 oil on the bearing. Put it back tothether and it should work.

SVORay said:
Well I do love fixes like that for sure but it also drives you nuts a little lol Thankfully it's not that bad to pull a part and put back together. Now I just have to adjust my new MX3 and I should be good to go.

Thanks again

Guarantee you that, once you get the MX-3 dialed in, your E-Z will start acting funky again! Always happens to me!

Monkey Wrench said:
Guarantee you that, once you get the MX-3 dialed in, your E-Z will start acting funky again! Always happens to me!

Well that is no fun :juggle:

Back