stock rc18 esc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyd

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
what other motors can be used with the stock esc of the rc18 vehicles? i want a new motor but can't afford brushless at the moment. my budget is about 50 bucks.

What happened, you alrighty roach the motor in your new RC18? If nothing is wrong with the motor and you are saving up for a brushless, but are looking for some speed, I'd suggest different gearing combinations first. Spurs and pinions for that thing are cheap, man!

it might be almost done. i know my ties are completely bald. i feel like the civics i see on the streets. all show no go. i just want some speed though. will new gearing give noticable speed?
in about 2 weeks I'm getting new tires.

Well i dont know how well the stock motor fairs but I just scored an Orion coreless and a Baja off ebay for $15 each, shipped, for testing in my Micro RS4 I got off Bruce. If the Stocker ESC could handle one of those motors there are still a few floating around for cheap if your willing to spend some time digging through all the absolute crap in the RC section these days.

But, from all I've heard so far, same motor, same esc, just changing to a quality battery can make all the difference. Like waking a sleeping animal as someone here on RCNT recently said about changing out their stocker 6cell to a matched high output pack.

So, you might want to consider doing the pinion/spur first, then the batts, then the motor. But the batt could wind up being more $$ than the motor. Either way, you have a few choices. (I know, that doesn't make it any easier :D )

Yeah, I think trying different gearing to begin with will help. Also, make sure you are cleaning and oiling your motor regularly. I don't know a great deal about electric set-ups, but the one tip I've gotten from others is to get some electric motor cleaner, spray it down one of the holes in the motor can until it runs clear, then add some oil onto the brushes (I think 3-in-1 works, but wait for someone to verify that). I use some Trinity oil in mine. Seems to work great, as my RC18's don't seem to have lost a step.

ok thanks guys. i have one more question. when buying a charger do all chargers charge any size battery? i was looking at the super brain 959. would that be a good charger for just about any battery size i want ( not including lipo). how do you know what amps to charge a pack at? this is abit confusing for me. any help will be greatly apreaciated (sp?)

dannyd said:
ok thanks guys. i have one more question. when buying a charger do all chargers charge any size battery? i was looking at the super brain 959. would that be a good charger for just about any battery size i want ( not including lipo). how do you know what amps to charge a pack at? this is abit confusing for me. any help will be greatly apreaciated (sp?)

In general,when charging a 1100mah pack I charge at 1.1AMP,its around one hour charge and does not push the pack too hard.

A 3300map sub C pack,3.3amps.Again around an hour charge,once the peak is detected the charger stops the charge.

You could use half these values and the charging would take twice as long,more charges.But the hour charge should be fine.

BTW you want a hotter motor for your RC18 stock ESC,Trinity Mass termination is a clear improvement over the stock motors(any stocker).

The ones I would stay away from are the hot Trinity 17turn one and the very hot 14turn mini mods.The ESC may handle them but I would call the company just to make sure.

thanks monster. I'm about to email ae to see if it would be ok. as for charging if i charged a 1100 mah at 1.1 amp thats about an hour like you said. but would that be complete charge? how about that charger is it a good choice charger? will it be able to handle just about any battery type?

p.s thanks for giving a bit of an understanding about charging batteries?

i had a duratrax digital peak ,if you have a cpl different batteries it has 11 different memory slots that you can set and save each and is reasonably priced at 50 bucks
what i liked about it is the digital screen to tell you the progress

as for the motors,
i have tried the venom mini ,i picked it up off fullforcerc for 8 plus shipping (on sale),the reedy mini mod will turn it up a notch as well ,trinity monster will work as will a orion bigblock .
i have had all of these and tried them all and they worked perfectly with the stock speed control
but nothing is fast with out the proper gearing as was said try playing around with that but do not go too high on the pinion gears or it will overload the motor and the esc and burn them out

racin_38 said:
i had a duratrax digital peak ,if you have a cpl different batteries it has 11 different memory slots that you can set and save each and is reasonably priced at 50 bucks
what i liked about it is the digital screen to tell you the progress

as for the motors,
i have tried the venom mini ,i picked it up off fullforcerc for 8 plus shipping (on sale),the reedy mini mod will turn it up a notch as well ,trinity monster will work as will a orion bigblock .
i have had all of these and tried them all and they worked perfectly with the stock speed control
but nothing is fast with out the proper gearing as was said try playing around with that but do not go too high on the pinion gears or it will overload the motor and the esc and burn them out

thanks racin. whats a cpl?
what kind of gearing did you use with those motors?

couple different batteries
is what i meant
and used the stock gearing just swapped out the pinion gear on to each motor

thanks I'm going to try some of those then.

you have the 18b correct?
which spur gear did they install on that buggy the 55t or the 60t?
i am seriouly concidering gearing my mt to a 55t to see what for speed i get with my 6800 mamba ,but i dont want ot over heat it either because of the bigger tires .

yeah i have the18b and it came with a 55t.