Mamba Heat Sink Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have the Integy heat sink and I want to put it on the Mamba motor in my RC18T. Question I have, is, do I secure it to the can with servo tape, is it supposed to clamp on the can or, is it supposed to slide up and down the can (picture it laying on its side)? Right now it slides and I fear that, if I squeeze it too much to clamp on, I'll break it in half. I thought about using servo tape, but then I figure that will melt to the can.

Any insights, tips and tricks appreciated!

there's thermal putty you can get at home depot...the servo tape would probably be messy like you said "melt to the can"....
I can see if I have an old tube of thermal goo..it's not a real adhesive but should hold the heatsink on real well...I use it for well sensors in Chilled Water & Hot water Pipes......it will allow the heat from the motor to go throught the putty and into the heat sink alot better than normal adhesives will....

Oh if you get some use just a lil bit or you'll have a jelly donut effect all over your motor....

You'll definitely want to use some sort of thermal adhesive. Most would use thermal paste, but I hear it's hell if it gets on your clothes or anything that you don't want it to. Don't use servo tape. That will add an insulated barrier between the motor and heat sink. Essentially it will negate the effects of the heat sink. Either leave it bare, or use the thermal paste.

Cool fellas! Thanks for the tips! Of course, I need the ESC to make this in any way effective, but at least I got this going for me, which is nice!

Before you decide just my :2cents:

I would not use thermal epoxy unless you want a permanent bond,any epoxy can be taken off just quite a job when applied and cured well.

Double sided thermal tape would be best suited for the task,can be removed when needed and will transfer the heat well.Quality thermal double sided tape
is very thin and will hold a heatsink very well. Like for epoxy once applied let the double sided tape bond,after 12-24hours and its solid.

Back