battery charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyd

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a rc18b. it comes with the battery pack and charger. the only problem is the charger only 120 ma so it take about 9 and half hours to charge. i have my rat shack charger that i got for my hummer that chargers both NI-MH and Ni-Cd batteries and put out 560 ma. my question is it it ok if i use the rat shack charger to charge my rc18b battery?

oh and the radio shack charger also charges 7.2 volt batty packs.

aslo the stock rc18b charger out put is 120 ma at 7.2 volts
the radio shack charger out put is at 560 at 9 volt

Last edited:
If this Rat Shack charger was designed to charge 7.2V packs Ni-Mh packs then yes it should be safe. You will cut charge time from 4-5times over the supplied El Cheapo slo mo charger.

Monitor your battery pack often when using it the first time.

thanks monster. the charge time with the stock charger was killing me. only one run a day. OMG thanks again.

One thing is sure get a better charger and one that can charge pretty much all NiMh and NiCd packs. A MRC SuperBrain or better a Duratrax IntelliPeak Ice have peak detection and you can select the charge amperage and cut or prolong charging time.

thanks guys. i just got finished running it after charging it with the radio shack charger. i will never try that again. about 2 hrs into it i checked the battery and it was at 127.3 degrees. i quickly took it off and let it cool. after about 15 min of cooling it was fine. i put it in the car and got about 8 or 9 minutes out of it before it died. it didnt fully charge i usually get close to 20 minutes out of it.

i want to get these for when i get a mamba. will the kill my ESC?
http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=13176.11

Last edited:
i would suggest as the others have ... get a good charger ... something that will detect peak charge ... i use my duratrax pirhana charger .... look into a couple 7 cell batteries for it ... guys at my track keep up with the brushless set ups with stock motor and 7 cell batts ... alot of that is driver skill .. but amazing what the 7 cell batts do to them ...

I'm going to get a good charger in the future when my collection grows. this is my only working electric r/c. but what do you think of the li-ion pack i posted will the stock esc be ok with using that. i plan on going brushless in the next month or 2

dannyd said:
I'm going to get a good charger in the future when my collection grows. this is my only working electric r/c. but what do you think of the li-ion pack i posted will the stock esc be ok with using that. i plan on going brushless in the next month or 2

A charger should be on your list before buying batteries. A cheap battery with a good charger is better than the best battery with a crappy charger. A cheap charger will ruin batteries very quick.

SMaxxin said:
A charger should be on your list before buying batteries. A cheap battery with a good charger is better than the best battery with a crappy charger. A cheap charger will ruin batteries very quick.

very well said...

danny, for those batteries you said I am pretty sure I have seen someone that had an rc18b and were using Lithium Ion packs in them and it worked fine, but not 100% sure.

I know that for lipoly chargers and all you need to hook it up to a power source other than your wall outlet, like a car battery. That is the reason I didnt go lipoly was because I didnt want to have to wait and use my parents car battery to charge my rc car battery. LOL.

I'm going to get one of the charges posted before if i dont get the li-ion. I'm not really looking at it now only because i only have one car. that kind of charger is a very good one. would be perfect for someone with more then one pack.