Mamba Talk

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robriguez

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
I've recently picked up an RS4, possibly a second and a mini-t depending on whether I win a couple ebay auctions for cheap. Next in line is an RC18T and most likely a B as well. So I will have a nice little mini family by the end of summer hopefully. The GF is showing a little interest in RC lately and a cute little Pink VW Beetle or a riced out BMW M3 would be right up her alley. So, I figure, why not take advantage...right? Why not... so here I am. Comming across some used kits for cheap doesn't seem to be too hard. Deciding what esc/motor combo is getting frustrating. So Lets get on topic:

From the research I've done tonight, the average Mini/Micro Esc runs about $40-$60 depending on features. Your average 280 modified motor (coreless or otherwise) runs about the same. So your talking $80-$120 for a standard brushed setup. For not too much more a Castle Creations Mamba esc/brushless system can be had. But even that gets confusing due to the number of diff models with the most common models being the 4200, 5400, 6800, 8000. So, To help some of my fellow mini owners out there I thought I would share some of the info I found.

Please share your ideas, experiences, opinions. Is the Mamba the better brushless package to go with? Have you tried a cheaper package with similar/better results? Lets hear them.

Sport Package: 4200Kv
Stock Gearing on Mini-T]
3 cell Lipo = 32mph
2 cell lip or 8 cells = 25mph
6 cells = 17mph
--The best choice of the serious racer. Very flexible via gearing for 2 or 3 cell Lipo packs for track use. Very long runtimes for bashing/practicing on 6 cell packs - not particularly fast on 6 cells, but a TON of torque, and lots of fun. 3 cell Lipo runs are still MUCH faster than any brushed motor option out there, and longer runtimes as well, due to the increased efficiency.

Performance Package: 5400 Kv
Stock Gearing on Mini-T
3 cell Lipo = 40mph
2 cell Lipo or 8 cells = 33mph
6 cells = 20mph
--A very good 6 cell or 7 cell racing set-up with long runtimes, and also the best racing set-up for running 2 cell lips. The most versatile of all the combos for both racing, and insane speed runs with a 3cell Lipo pack.

Competition Package: 6800 Kv [
Stock Gearing on Mini-T
3 cell Lipo = 50mph
2 cell Lipo, or 8 cells = 40mph
6 cells = 27mph
--Most likely, the best 6 cell all-purpose racing setup. Good runtimes and speed. A little hot for racing w/more than 6 cells, but still VERY capable of ridiculous bashing speed runs on 8 cells, or 3s Lipos.

Competition X Package: 8000 Kv]
Stock Gearing on Mini-T
3 cell Lipo = over 60mph!!
2 cell Lipo, or 8 cells = 48mph
6 cells = 32mph
--Basically, this motor is almost unusable for actual racing, unless you've got a really big oval track, or will ONLY use 6 cells or less! Also, drive train parts at these speeds WILL have a reduced lifespan - stock up on diff sets!!!

Last edited:
i personally am saving up for the 6800. but just like you would like to know more about these thing also. i heard the 6800 has tons of torque and thats what I'm all about.

I have the 6800 and 8000 Mamba combos.The 6800 is installed in my RC18T and the 8000 is in my Xray M18. Both the M18 and the RC18T have mods to cope with the extra power and rotational stress of these speedy Mamba motors.

The Xray I have front and back ball diffs and ally CVD's. I use AE metal pinions with both,but you may prefer to use cheaper plastic pinions that will wear quicker and save the spur.The problem may be the motor shaft start spinning in the pinion as the motor gets hot.

I doubt you could get the same quality and performance for much cheaper.And competitors include Tekin.tekin's motors look to be almost identical save for the flashy can decorations.The tekin ESC is in a protective casing,not the shrink bag used by Castle Creations. The advantage of the CC ESC is it takes less space.And micro cars/trucks ...the less space your electronics take the better.

If you plan to race the 5400 should be plenty fast,good balance of torque and RPM.The 6800 is more for on road cars like the Micro RS4 and the M18. The 8000 is only for high speed run bashing on a perfectly flat track. I purchased the 8000KV Mamba just to see how fast a mini can fly.Not much practical use,and I use my Mamba mostly with 6 cell packs,7.2V not more.As with LiPo they are mad man fast.

Hope this helps

So far I am very happy with my Castle Creations powered minis. Next up is their Mamba MAXX big combo to be released around the summer.

so monster which one has the most torque? or was i correct about the 6800 having alot of torque.

dannyd said:
so monster which one has the most torque? or was i correct about the 6800 having alot of torque.

The lower the KV rating the higher teh torque.Just common sense.Think about it.

The higher the RPM the lower the torque will be.For most trucking apps the slowest Mamba will do great,a good trade off is the 5400.The 6800 starts to be on the wild side RPM wise.Has to be geared using the smallest pinions found or overheating will get the better of it.

I've experienced the RC18T, and the Mini T with the Mamba 6800 and 8000. 2 of my friends have the 5400. All are great performers. It will depend on what your plans are as to which setup you will want to use.
Since I do not race the higher kv models were my choice simply because of the power that they produce with 3 cell lipos.

Some of my experiences;
The Mini T is almost useless with a kv rating greater than 5400 and dry cell packs unless you just want to bash it. Mine has done 50’ of cartwheels down the street multiple times after loosing control with the 6800kv and a 3 cell lipo installed. Forget the 8000 unless you want to see destruction.

The RC18 in any form is a better balanced choice over the Mini T’s light front end but still becomes uncontrollable with the 8000 under full throttle at any speed. With the 6800, a 3 cell lipo pack and esc power settings reduced to a minimum, it is fairly easy to control in a large flat area.

I have the M18 with an 8000 but have not had the time to completely dial it in since building it a few months ago. Hopefully by this summer I’ll have something to report on. I can only assume that I’ll see some of the same results as above based on threads read in some of the forums.

The 5400 with dry cell packs will out perform the 6800 and 8000kv models in racing or tight conditions.

Can’t help you with any personal info the 4200.

Hope this helps.

i recently got itsme1's rc18mt with a mamba 6800 w/3 cell li-po's and it is a total blast ,just on the verge of ballistic and thats in the stock settings ,for just bashing in loose dirt ,anything above 1/2 to 3/4 throttle spin city even with 4wd
blacktop gotta ease into it or your doing donuts but it is just cool as hell seeing a little 18th scale truck run circles around a savage lol
i like dialing out alot of the top end and just pissin around with it in the dirt and stuff ,last evening i had around 45 minutes of run time on a full charge and that was speed runs and bashing

can a mamba get any of the rc18's to do a wheelie on command? like off the line?

mine does but all depends on traction too ,dirt or stones ,no grippy blacktop or concrete will roll itself right over on its roof with out a problem

MonsterCowpower said:
I doubt you could get the same quality and performance for much cheaper.And competitors include Tekin.tekin's motors look to be almost identical save for the flashy can decorations.The tekin ESC is in a protective casing,not the shrink bag used by Castle Creations. The advantage of the CC ESC is it takes less space.And micro cars/trucks ...the less space your electronics take the better.

One massive advantage Castle Creations' Mamba25 ESC has over Tekin's offering is the "CastleLink" USB/PC based setup system.
From what I've seen of the two products, the motors are in essence the same thing.

Another motor that should not be overlooked is the AON4900, it will work with bothe the Mamba25 and Tekin controller. It offers tons of torque and is awesome for off road or tight indoor racing

Mondo,

Right,the USB link Castle offers is a big plus for advanced users.Great fine tuning tool.

Never used the AON4900,read it becomes very hot very fast,probably geared to tall.Any motor that overheats quick is geared too tall.