Deep Fried Mamba!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Wouldn't you know it! I buy a NIB Mamba from my good friend Revo Rancher, and because I'm a "Beason UberDink", I friggin' deep fried the ESC before I turned lap one on it! UGH!

Like an IDIOT (a la Napoleon Dynamite) I try splicing the battery connector from the stocker ESC (RC18T, for those keeping score) and I think when I plugged the battery in to perform the initial calibration, the splice points on the + and - touched and...POOF!

DAMNIT TO HADES!

Now have to wait for Castle Creations to give it the once-over and see if they can repair it. Serves me right!

:eek:pps:
dude poop happens man ,they may just replace it and be done with it ,good luck
:wasted:

I knew I should not have sold something with that much power and technology to someone that has the word "Monkey " in their name! LOL-J/K.

So basically you introduced a short into the ESC?!? Did Castle offer to take a look at it?

Yeah, Castle said to send it back to them and they'd take a look. Purely my fault!

that sucks :eek:pps: was there alot of smoke if any?

Revo Rancher said:
I knew I should not have sold something with that much power and technology to someone that has the word "Monkey " in their name! LOL-J/K.

Dude you're cold lol J/K

Anyways, you never know MW what Castle will do but it's worth a shoot.

Best of luck
Ray

:ahem: Well I had a similar experience,...shorting...but it did not cause any smoke,just a hot melting plastic smell.And toasted brand new ...charged cells.

I shorted 2/3A cells and they became BOILING hot,so hot the plastic wrapper started to shrink and smell! I noticed when a soldering like iron heat and smell rose...I said Wait a minute I am not using a soldering gun! I cut the wire connecting the two sides of the "pack" with cutters.

Let the roasty cells cool and had to dispose of them,the wrapper changed color! Shorted out high current cells are dangerous when shorted. :jet:

Close call DOH,also my fault.

Hey MW don't feel bad...A few weeks ago I was cutting a zip tie off my rc18..with a razor (dumb ass) and stuck it in to my 3 cell lipo batt..Talk about heat. I freaked out and tossed it out side..Its still in the front yard LOL

Last edited:
ZANDOR said:
Hey MW don't feel bad...A few weeks ago I was cutting a zip tie off my rc18..with a razor (dumb ass) and stuck in to my 3 cell lipo batt..Talk about heat. I freaked out and tossed it out side..Its still in the front yard LOL

hey ZANDOR is the car or the battery still in your front yard? oh and where do you live again?:jk: lol

dannyd said:
hey ZANDOR is the car or the battery still in your front yard? oh and where do you live again?:jk: lol

LOL both....

i dont think i would want a lipo with a hole in it. good call on the toss Z but i think it may be safe to retrieve now. lol..

hey MW even I wouldnt pull a U83rD1Nk move like that!!!!! :ha: :ha:

that sucks, i do know that castle creations has very good excellent customer service though. I have heard lots of good things about them even if it is your fault.

Pat, totally my fault. It was such a Beason move! I sent it back to them today, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll be up and running.

I was so ashamed I almost went to some internet cafe!

Man, can you believe this! I get an e-mail from them saying that it failed their testing (geez, did the charred circuit board tip them off) and that they'll replace it (for $40.00). No problem, except that it'll be another 2-3 weeks! What?

Man, am I bummed! I was going to race it this Friday night! Well, shizzle!

Oh. Boy, I do feel bad. I'll hit up my LHS and see if Rob can get you one cheaper. The nearly same ESC for planes is 20.00.

You shouldn't feel bad at all, RR! It was my dumbass that fried it! I just can't believe it's taking them so long. I guess they're having problems with materials!

Hey, at least they're responding to me and treating me right! Can you imagine how bad this would be if it was an Integy ESC? I shudder to think!