Spool?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVORay

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Has anyone installed a spool on their Mini T?

I was thinking about this to help with it's use off roading in the dirt. Just looking to see if anyone has done this and pros and cons on it. I'm pretty sure it would stress crap out if used on the street but we're off roading with it.

Thanks
Ray

These cars come with a slip defferential pretty much like a real car. This doesn't always spin both tires at one time ( or all four tires on a 4X4 vehicle). A spool simply replaced the defferential and locks the rear axles ( or all four again if it's 4x4) to help with traction. I'm pretty sure these are like a real car, as they could be pretty hard on parts if driven on the street using a spool.Thats because they want slip when you make turns and best used on straight tracks. Now dirt is more forgiving and I'm thinking would be a lot more fun to have one in the Mini T. I'm just wonder if anyone has used one and had good luck with it.

Ray

it would probibly be very hard to control on anything but strait runs and you would loose quite a bit of your steering. what kind of diff is in the mini-t? gear or ball.

beason said:
what kind of diff is in the mini-t? gear or ball.

in stock form it is a gear diff. All the aftermarket ones are of the ball type. however, most of the aftermarket ball diffs are adjustable so you tighten it down pretty good to reduce the amount of differential action. Not that this is the same as a locked diff but they give you the option to tune it the way you like

thats what i was looking for. instead of a solid spool. go with ether a gear diff with thick oil. or a ball diff and tighten it down more. you will get more of a solid axle effect, without accualy having a solid axle. it will give when it needs to but will have more of a posi track feel. i wouldnt go with a spool unless your crawling, mudding, or pulling.

Hey thats sounds like a deal, I'll have to look into it some more.

The car is basiclay for a 3yr old who couldn't drive an RC straight to save his life anyways, so steering loss isn't a biggy. The truck is 90% off road in dirt. But I will check into the ball deff since it may spin faster etc.

Thanks
Ray

PS I installed some bearings and they helped a lot.

Back