Mini Motor sizing questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay I got a new Penguin chassis kit for my M18......I see on the site ( www.penguinrc.com ) they show a bunch of optional motor mounts and they are each for specific size motors and positions.....however, I don't know what size motor the Orion Baja is.......I thought it would fit on the stock mount that comes w/ the 7500 kit, but it don't....what size motor is a baja classed???? I just want to get this little bastard going before I end up spending a fortune in hop ups on it just so I have something to tinker w/........

The Orion Baja is a 300 class motor.

Same diameter as a 280(same mounting holes),its a longer can verston so it belongs to the 300 class.

OT: Like a 540 and 550,the 550 has a longer can(more torque).

Last edited:
A 280 is the same size as a stock M18 motor???
the holes almost line up w/ what I have, I'm tempted to make a wider groove but if I do then the can sits lower than the bottom of the mount......these lil RCs are a PITA!!!!....I've never seen so many parts needing to me dremeled or just flat out forced to work as I have on the mini-T and the m18......are the hop ups for the RC18 this bad too????? I'm considering selling the mini-T and getting one......

Hold on HOLD on... I feel dumb now you said M18.

My bad I feel like a real :loser: now. DOH

The Xray M18,no it uses a 180 class motor.A longer can version of a 130 class.

Sorry for the above.

I purchased the Xray chassis kit/w the alu motor mount.This munt takes the Mamba and 280 class motors.

The stock mount should be easy to mod,to take a 280/300 class motor.

it looks like you could possibly place some type of shim between the chassis and the motor mount to raise the motor mount a bit to make the Baja fit. There might be enough clearance between the motor mount and the driveshaft to make that work, but you can always dremel the top section of the mount a bit to make room for the driveshaft

Micro motors...

Regarding Micro Motor sizes, this attachment should help:

If going for a 300 sized motor, I do suggest a Graupner Speed 300 6.0V
It's what most "brand name" (Orion BB/Peak Chubby etc..) motors are based on.

okay Penguin RC wrote me back and said the Baja is an odd mounting pattern and I'll need to buy a 300 series mount and modify it......not bad but I think I'm just going to buy the vertical mounting kit and a new motor......is there any reason I shouldn't just go ahead and do the 400 size motor mount??? since I'm going to replace it w/ a new motor anyways??...I have a spy ESC already, will that handle the 400 motor???

that's fine...I think I just want to do the graupner 300 anyway...the 400 mount is a whole kit that's another 30 bucks....the 300 mount is just 5....thanks Lessen, Mondo, RCNT

Back