Got me a mini... RC18B!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeartBreak

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Now's the time to get yourself a mini, folks!

I paid a total of $159.96 for mine...

Tower Hobbies has the RC18B at 169.99, plus $7 shipping. $15 off coupon on their front page, plus some credit I had on their site... $10 LESS than the cost of the car.. Not too bad!

I'll post pics of it later on - Soon as I get my desk cleared off (gotta set it somewhere to charge).

edit; here are some pics... This thing is the COOLEST I've seen in a while - shoulda got one sooner... I can't wait till it's charged.... doggone ohms' law!!

far - shot of it ontop of my 17inch monitor - ignore the clutter, lol
18b-far.gif

closeup - you prolly can't see it, but on the side of the reciever; "Thunder Tiger" (confirms AE's relationship to TT)
18b-close.gif

the box
18b-box.gif

Last edited:
sweet, I'm getting the truck version for x-mas. can't wait. i race my mini-t so i need something to bash with around the house/yard.

You'll love it.. Altho, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a TC3. Looks like a 10th scale version isn't too far off. Just need AE to break ties with Yokomo.

I got to drive it for the first time this mornin; For it being a 'stock' RTR, it's pretty quick. Definately better than anything you get from places like Radio Shack. Overall, I'd rate the car a 9.9 outta 10 (the lack of adjustable tie-rods takes .1 away from it). Otherwise, the people that put these together are good. Except in the gear-lash department.

Double-check the gear lash and make sure it's set with a tick-of-play, and the car is VERY quick. It wheelies very easily, that's for sure... just a touch of reverse, and gun it forward. The radio also needs adjusting out of the box, but that's minor stuff.

And with Towers' $15 off promotion and fast $7 shipping, 'tis the season! The only thing that sucks is they don't give you a choice on channels or body colors (mines on orange/channel 3 with the orange trimmed body). Otherwise, it's awesome! The tires even come glued (surprising touch).

Thats awesome!!! Really like the transformers too lol

lol, good eye. They're called "alternators", fully licensed by the vehicle manufactuers. The detail on them is amazing. On the shelf above, I've got one of the first megatrons' released (the old walther p38 u.n.c.l.e. edition one), as well as a few other Gen1's, and some Armada's... Thems' my retirement plan.

Anywho, what I'm curious about is, I've read about people putting a brushless setup in their minis with LiPo batts... Are the LiPo's neccessary?

Congrads on your car, they are very durable since they are so small.

well, most people put lipos in to make it have longer run times and insane speeds. A lipoly battery alone can cost $50, then a cheap charger for like $110. I myself, am pretty sure I'm going to mambafy my rc18t/mt but then just make my own pack with a higher amount of cells.

I've been looking at the Mini and those things are very sweet!! I would like to get the Team Losi Mini-Lst. I seen one in a hobby magazine I have from what the people who tested it out its pretty awesome out of the box.

They're killer - I remember seeing the mini-t of losi's. That things pretty sweet, but I like the little mini 4wd buggy better. One thing I did notice, however... On the box, AE has it marked as a 'monster truck' in the lower left corner... Kinda funny, lol

I got my son and I one of these(an rc18b) today from our LHS. They have a clay track built inside the Hobby shop just for the mini's. They race them every Thursday night and last week they had 12 mini's show up. it was a trip to watch. After all the smack talk this week I just had to get us in the mix. We have the Mini T's also but they don't compare to the 18B's at all. The 18B's are so much faster and handle so much better its not even funny. Right out of the box we were taking the triple and the table top with no problem. It was great. After 2 1/2 hrs of playing not one thing even thought about braking. This thing is tuff!!!!!!!!!!! Associated gets an A+++++++++ for getting it right the first time out with the new rc18B. Note: the rc18T and rc18MT are basicly the same as the 18B except for the body,tires and a few other small things.

Yep, there's not much difference, other than the wing, body, tires, and spur/pinion on the 18B. The 18T/MT have different ones. There is also a Factory Team edition of the T. Personally, all the 18B needs is a set of turnbuckles (got them for $7.50 on tower), and better connectors (got the Deans Micro 2R's at $1.49 a pair).

I'm having a blast with mine. Just make sure you go over it and make sure there are no missing parts. Mine was missing an upper spring perch from the rear left shock. I sent Associated a "missing parts" request, and one week later, the part showed up in the mail, free of charge.

An indoor clay track for the minis? Nice! I hear there's one about 70 miles away down in a town called Paradise. I'm thinkin bout takin a spin down there around New Years.

yea, I've had a mini-t and sold it, and picked up a rc18t. definately choose the rc18 series over a mini-t (stock at least)

o ya, and there is another difference, the shock towers on the rc18b are different.

redhatman said:
yea, I've had a mini-t and sold it, and picked up a rc18t. definately choose the rc18 series over a mini-t (stock at least)

o ya, and there is another difference, the shock towers on the rc18b are different.

Heh, yah, I looked up at the car on top of the monitor and realized that after I hit submit. I'm sure there's probably one or two more differences.. Possibly the stock motor.

HB, Nice new toy man.....I am trying to wait til I find a used one to pick up...these things are hard to resist when you're in the hobby shop......
Jesse, stay away...NO.... RUN AWAY from the MLST....I have seen 3 of them bust the rear diff on the first pack.......that just screams defect to me.....they do look the coolest out of the 1/18th scales IMO......

not sure if its a factory defect or user issue, but my mlst has yet to bust a diff. 5 packs and counting....i probably just jinx myself.
the 18b does look cool tho.
to many toys to choose from these days

Plaidfish said:
HB, Nice new toy man.....I am trying to wait til I find a used one to pick up...these things are hard to resist when you're in the hobby shop......

Danke', fish man :cheers:. It's really a great car - the only thing that you'd want to add to it is the 18t steel turnbuckle set (since it uses the same arms as the 18t, the rods are the same too). They're a pain to assemble, but once you get them assembled correctly, they're a sweet addon.

Now all associated needs to do is make a 1/10th scale version. It looks almost dead-on like a TC3, chassis-wise.

Back