which soldering iron?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagelover12

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm gonna be getting a novak spy esc and it comes with a micro connector for the motor. I'm gonna order another set and then i want to solder it to the terminals on the motor. which one of these soldering irons would be better for what i want to do. this is the only time I'm probally gonna use it so i dont care how good it is. thanks

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPR35&P=7

or

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPR36&P=7

i dont know what watt to get.

oh and another thing what kind of solder should i get? (link)

I went through a number of soldering Irons and soldering guns before I bit the bullet and bought a Hakko soldering station. Best thing I ever did for electric RC. Its so convient and works everytime.

Here's the problem with some of those "cheap" soldering irons. They get up to temp, but the minute you put it on battery bars or something that draws the heat away from the iron, it doesn't stay hot and you wind up with cold joints or waiting forever for it to melt the solder if at all.

Units like the Hakko stations, use a good thermostat. It gets it up to temp, if it notices a draw and the temp, it cranks the heat up to keep the tip at the prescribed temp.

i just have a 100 watt and a 30 watt pen. the 100 watt is for things with more solder, and the pen is for smaller amounts and more precise.

For power cable soldering,battery bars soldering.At least a 45W unit.I use a Hakko and a cheapo ratShack 45W iron,for a sub $10 unit the 45W ratShack iron works great.

After some serious soldering you will need to replace the tip.I went thru two of there in a week,nonstop soldering for 4 hours.

Back