wanting to get a mini need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2mcgrath

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
which mini do you guys recommend?there is so many of them its confusing..I'm leaning more towards the mini t..any downfalls with it?i read the itsy bitsy spyder has lots of problems is this true?

I think you'll get a few opinions here. I assume you're looking for off-road. I have a mini-T and I like it. But I've also heard a lot of great things about the RC18T from Associated. Plus now there's the RC18MT, the Mini-Zilla (Hot Bodies), and the M18T from Xray. So there are plenty to choose from.
I do like my Mini-T. But it does need a few things right off to make it fun. Shocks are a definite. Bearings. Battery upgrade. Hotter motor. Then you're in the ballpark. The thing I like most about the little trucks are that hop-ups are a lot cheaper than on the bigger trucks.

I have had both. Now I have only my RC18MT. I just like it more. their is also going to be a RC18B, and a mini LST.

yeah lots to choose from..your right the upgrades and stuff are lots cheaper than for my 1/8 buggies..I've heard both the mini t and the rc18t are great.so i guess i have it narrowed down to those two for now..can always buy different ones here and there.thanks for the info guys and keep it coming

Mini-T has huge aftermarket support. Every single part by multiple manufacturers. But if I were to choose my unbiased opinion would be the M18T by Xray.

I've got the Mini-t. The aftermarket parts are unreal. But stock out of the box, it's like a wal-mart toy. As Candyman said motor, battery, bearings, and shocks are a must. I've put all of that except the shocks on mine. I like mine. But from what I have read the RC18 is pretty good straight out of the box.

i bought a mini t off ebay.only thing that it has far as upgrades is a 7.2 battery pack..but like i say i may collect a few mini's here and there this will be my first mini.would like to go brushless with it later down the road.thanks guys for being so helpfull

I'd like to recommend NOT buying a battery pack but to build one yourself if you can. I just finished a little battery project and I'm absolutely astounded by the difference batteries can make. My mini-T is my only experience with electrics. until now I've been using a 7.2V Team Orion pack I picked up at my LHS but I've just built a couple 7.2V packs out of GP1100 2/3A cells. Holy cow what a difference! I got mine from http://www.batterystation.com for $2 each. That's the cheapest I could find. Even with shipping that less thanyou'll pay for one of those mediocre packs at your hobby shop.

[edit]
oops, I just checked those out again. I forgot I got them on sale. They are 2.50 each which is about normal. Your lookin for part number GP110AFHR.

Last edited:
cool guys thanks..I've been hearing alot about the lipo packs..and how good they are..but I've also read they are pretty dangerous is that true?are they alot of maintence with the lipo?would you guys just stick with nicd and nimh?digger what motor you recommend for stock esc?and i for sure need the bearings and oil shocks.will be jumping it..probably run it some where i run my 1/8 buggies.so its gonna get alot of jumping.

for stock I'd recommend the Team Orion Baja. You'll see a lot of people like the Trinity ones but I tried it and didn't care for it.

I've got the Trinity. Haven't had any trouble. But it's the only one I've tried too, so I can't compare it. R9 is using an aircraft motor for about $10 and racing his. (see the link I posted earlier) They sell one on here http://www.one18th.com/ supposed to be pretty good.

Huge selection. And everyone has their favorite.
Think the one Lessen reccomended is a big block? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Been a while since I looked at motors for mine.

you have to have another motor plate for the big blocks right?

ok so the baja will bolt right up to stock plate right?thanks

2mcgrath said:
ok so the baja will bolt right up to stock plate right?thanks

yes.

you know what... I have both the Baja and the Trinity mini machine just sittin around and I don't need them anymore. If your interested, you can have both for $15 shipped. I'll send them with brand new 20 gauge leads as well.

Back