rc10MT--rear diffs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannarunem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The rear diffs are popping when i take off suddenly...its stock

Is this normal? it doesn't even have much run time on it.

If not, how should i go about correcting the problem?

Hey, I just got done putting mine back together. I resently got a bruchless kit, and not too long after I had popping comming from both of my diffs. I have heard that this is not uncommon. My front pinion gear was missing part of the teeth where they wore down. So after replaceing gears I installed some shims from BRP , took out all of the slopyness. I've heard that this is the fix!

I hope you were talking about the rc18mt cause you said rc10 but this is in the 18th scale forum. anyways good luck!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Ring gear and pinion gear. I can guarantee it.

akmadmaxx said:
Hey, I just got done putting mine back together. I resently got a bruchless kit, and not too long after I had popping comming from both of my diffs. I have heard that this is not uncommon. My front pinion gear was missing part of the teeth where they wore down. So after replaceing gears I installed some shims from BRP , took out all of the slopyness. I've heard that this is the fix!

I hope you were talking about the rc18mt cause you said rc10 but this is in the 18th scale forum. anyways good luck!! :cheers:

shoot yes i was referring to the rc18mt!! damn hate when i do silly crap like that!

so ths shims fixed it eh? I guess i will order some,,how many of those shims did you use..? Thanks for the link

2 shims should be enough for each differential.

-what is in the tower hobbies picture? looks like some shims and o-rings, but u dont use o-rings on the car, so what is it? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

To me it looks like shims...small ones and some larger ones. I'm not quiet sure how to shim it....being there are 2 different sizes. Maybe i will have a better idea when i take it apart and see.

the 2 small metal ones go in between the bearing and the gear on the diff. but you only need 2 per differential.

thanks,,this little sucker desperately needs shimming.

I'd completely stop running it if you have any chance at all of saving those diffs

The smalller shims go on the center drive shaft between the bearing and pinion gear, and the larger shims go on the inside of the bearing on the output shaft (the diffs themselves) When you take it apart look very close at the gears, mine were not missing any teeth but they were worn down a little bit. Its kinda hard to see so look close. Just a heads up.

wannarunem said:
shoot yes i was referring to the rc18mt!! damn hate when i do silly crap like that!

so ths shims fixed it eh? I guess i will order some,,how many of those shims did you use..? Thanks for the link

No prob, just making sure. I used 1 small and 1 large shim to fix my problems. 1 kit is all you need and then some.

busted..yeah its on the self till i get the shims in. Man, my wife is missing that little car. I have to hear about it every day...lol

Thanks ak..i will try 1 and 1 as a starting point for the diffs.

I'll try to shim it a little to give it some more life.